Thursday, October 05, 2006

The sound of one hand clapping...

At present, that would be me. I am at the midway point of a particularly nasty headcold, which means I have laryngitis. Yesterday, I felt like death on a hot plate. I feel much better today but inexplicably sound worse. My colds always go this route. There are some benefits - particular for those who have to deal with me in person because I am forced to talk less and listen more. My dear blog readers, however, will continue to suffer as my present condition does not prevent me from typing.

BUH-WAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

Things that sound dirty in clown class but really aren't
Hoo-boy! I could really go to town on this one but I think I will follow This Pastor's Wife's lead and let my more genteel and demure side shine through...Stop laughing! I do so have a genteel and demure side!!!

Okay - maybe just one...

"Now I'm going to show you some pocket magic!"

(*snicker!*)

So much for genteel and demure...

Me and the new guy
An emergency communication, you say? Take a number. We are already short staffed due to resignations and then this week we had a person out on vacation, another on maternity leave, one out for professional development and another guy out for two days with pnemonia. At one point, it was down to me and the new guy. Even without my cube window I was ranking senior editor...(*gasp!*)

The new guy is pretty cool even if he doesn't get my pop culture references. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to call him the new guy. He's been here since the end of July so maybe I need to make up a new blog nickname for him. Any suggestions?

Hawkeye Land
We're off to Iowa City tomorrow for the University of Iowa homecoming. Hubby used to play trombone in the marching band and we go back every year so he can play with the alumni band (Fossil Band). They're televising the game so you might actually see him. Watch for the trombone player with the yellow and black striped trombone.

Later days!

8 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I say call the new guy "Ted." Named after the "generic guy" from Dilbert. My husband often confuses interns when he refers to them as "Asok."

Is that a magic wand in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? ;) What, me demure?

Rick said...

{Gasp!} BARB! (feigning surprise)

The new guy is "new guy" until his newness is replaced by "newer guy". So, until you hire someone else, he is still "new guy". Unless that someone else is a gal, then she becomes "new gal", and he remains "new guy". At which point you just can't give them the same abbreviation, cuz they'd both be "NG". Unless you call them "new dude" and "new chick".

Guess I'll shut up now. What? I wasn't listening? What did you just say?

Hausfrau said...

snickering along with you ... hmmm .... snickers ... satisfies ... chocolate ... m&ms ... melts in your mouth not in your hands ... just stop me now. Bad me. Bad bad me.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I'm at the tail end of a cold myself, so my voice still isn't normal. New employees are always fun. I'm so bad.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Barb and Quipper - Great ideas! I think I'll go with the "he's the new guy until there is another new guy" suggestion. Given the state of our staffing I hope we'll have a "new guy/gal" soon.

Barb - "magic wand" HA! While making balloon animals, at one point we were instructed to "...squeeze all the air to the end, then grab and twist..."

INSERT YOUR OWN BEAVIS/BUTTHEAD JOKE HERE

Pastor's Wife - *snicker!* You are so naughty!!! ;-) (I love it!)

LF - "101 ways to torture the newbies" Hmmmm....could make for an interesting post. ;-)

Rick said...

Disclaimer...the commenters are all Lutherans, not fundamentalists. As if that weren't obvious.... :-o

Can I claim sexual harassment? I mean, I am offended. :-p Okay, not really.

Anonymous said...

Cool. My dad's a University of Iowa alum.

I vote call the new guy "Og." That's from a British sitcom of the 1970s. The couple took forever to come up with a name for the boy, so they called him Og, in the interim.

Joseph Broad said...

Since July? That's nothing. I was the new guy at the hospital....till I left!
Dantares.