Monday, December 18, 2006

Away in a Manger

The clowns got together on Saturday night for some Christmas caroling at the hospital. We walked the floors, sang some songs and did our best to hand out a few smiles. We didn’t go into the individual rooms unless the patient or a family member requested it.

On one floor, a nurse told us a woman wanted us to sing for her. She was on a ventilator and needed some cheering up. We went to her room and asked her if she had a favorite Christmas song. She had some trouble telling us but requested Away in a Manger.

We sang for her and even in her weakened state she tried to sing along with us. She finally just closed her eyes and mouthed the words. When we got to the last verse, it was all I could do to keep singing.

Be near me Lord Jesus I ask thee to stay,
Close by me forever and love me I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And take us to heaven to live with thee there.

It must be awful to be in the hospital during Christmas. I hope we were able to lift that woman’s spirits if only for a little while. I know I left her room with a warm glow I’ll never forget.

Picture: Adoration of the Shepherds (1535-40), by Agnolo Bronzino

8 comments:

Marie N. said...

That is a touching story. What a nice thing for your group to do, go caroling.

Joseph Broad said...

Seeing the insides of hospitals this summer makes me really, really see the value of this.
Dantares.

Anonymous said...

That's cool! I am sure they all really appreciated your coming to visit with them in the hospital.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, I am sure everyone really appreciated your entertainment.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, I am sure everyone really appreciated your entertainment.

Rick said...

DMG,

Off-topic: I responded to your comment on my site. Hope the explanation helps.

Merry Christmas,
Quipper

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

Marie N. said...

One week later, your story still brings tears when I think of it.