Wednesday, December 06, 2006

In my head is a blank piece of parchment...

I haven't felt the urge to blog about anything lately. Sure - there's stuff going on but nothing I thought was blog worthy. So since I have nothing to write about I thought I would write about not writing.

The hell you say?

No joke. The way I see it, what I choose not to write about it is just as important as what I do write about.

You lost me...

Okay - how about this analogy. Blogging is like cyber burlesque. You want to show the audience just enough to keep it interesting (a little leg so to speak) without giving away all your secrets. It's a very tricky little dance. If my feathered fan drops just a little too far south then instead of "art" it becomes exhibitionism. Capeche? Not to mention if I give away too much personal information then it becomes an open invitation to all the crazies out there.... Not you...the other guy.

You don’t know jack about me
So anyway, here's what I'll do. I'll list 10 harmless but hopefully interesting things you don't know about me. Well, for those who know me in real life you might know this stuff already but then again you might be surprised. Here goes...

1. In high school, I was selected to go to Girl's State - campaigned and was elected Red County Coroner (strictly a ceremonial position).

2. I can recite The Jabberwocky entirely from memory.

3. In grade school, I was caught cheating on a quiz…a Bible quiz.... (...not proud of that one…)

4. Never did drugs but once took Vivarin at a speech meet and almost had an anxiety attack in the middle of my performance.

5. My favorite color is red.

6. The tips of my middle fingers (from the first knuckle forward) are a tad crooked. They curve ever so slightly outward. Never broke them, just made that way (I know…I’m a freak).

7. I can wiggle my ears.

8. I took several years of voice lessons – started off with show tunes and then my second voice coach had me sing classical Italian. He tried to have me sing French and German too but I kept singing them with the Italian pronunciation. (Go figure…)

9. Impressions – I can do a few: Yogi Bear, Ethel Merman and Edith Bunker (Not well but passable).

10. I still have my baby blanket. I gave it to darling daughter.

Well - I don't know how interesting that was. If you want, turn this into a meme and post your own 10 things people don't know about you.

Picture: Madame de Pompadour

9 comments:

Joseph Broad said...

Know the feeling. Unlike your decision to address it, I just seem to dry up.
For months.
And months
and more months. Till something finds me blogging again.

Marie N. said...

Love the unconventional post! That's the writer in my waking up after being repressed from nearly ten years of mommyhood.

How about those clothes? I admire the beauty and finery of those fabrics Mme. du Pompadour is wearing, but oh how nice it is to slip on a one piece dress in the summer or jeans and a sweater in the winter.

Anonymous said...

DMG!

Sort of Seinfeldian of you. You're not posting about anything because you have nothing to write about. And yet you are posting about something. I guess.

1. Is Red County in a Blue State?

2. Wasn't "Jabberwocky" a Monty Python movie?

3. Too good. But I'm sure this scandal ended your aspirations to become the next Bible Answer Man.

4. What's a "speech meet"?!!!

5. So is Sammy Hagar's. In fact he wrote a nice ditty called "Red".

6. Probably a womb thing.

7. Probably a womb thing.

8. You must put a recording of one of your songs on your blog.

9. If you can imitate Ethel Merman, you must have a booming voice. The only imitation I can do is of Goober imitating Carey Grant.

10. Is your maiden name Van Pelt?

Anonymous said...

Hey Boo-boo! Time for lunch from a Pick-i-nick basket!

Anonymous said...

Since I don't have my own blog, I'm gonna use yours:
1.In high school, I was given a “Husky Pride” pin from Platte Canyon High School (yeah, one of the more recent headlines for a school shooting). I defaced it and had it taken away by one of the school counselors.

2. I can recite a bunch of filthy limericks. One is ten stanzas long.

3. In grade school, I pounded on the school bully for giving me one too many rations of shit. I got in trouble, not him.

4. You should have done at least some drugs. Really. I promise.

5. My favorite color is purple.

6. I have reasonably normal fingers.

7. I can wiggle my ears, too. Trying to show the boyos how to do it. It's tough to do when they're four.

8. You do not want to hear me sing.

9. Can't do many good impressions, but can quote verbatim many (very many) Warner Bros. cartoons.

10. I think Mom still has my first stuffed animal stashed away somewhere.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hi Dantares! You make up for it in quality! ;-) I just post willey nilley. I am the fast food of bloggers - you are a seven course meal. :-)

Marie - I love her dress too but somehow I don't see her lugging laundry baskets and cleaning toilets while wearing that...but maybe that's the point.

Scottius! So many questions!

1. Red County is a fictitious area made up for Girl's State in the not so fictitious state of Colorado.

2. Yes - but I was referring to the poem by Lewis Carrol

3. It was scandalous! I had to turn in my Safety Badge. :-(

4. Speech meet - as in Forensics, as in Debate. I did humor interpretation.

5. It's a good color!

6. Probably.

7. Ditto.

8. No more audio blogger! They discontinued before I had to chance to use it. Besides - I don't think I can sing Italian any more - that was a long time ago.

9. Well - I am loud. Well Goooollly!

10. Not even close! ;-)

Kerner - do you have lots of goodies in your pick-a-nick basket?

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hey O!

I had to start a new post - that last one was too long.

1.Why did they give you the pin and why did you deface it?

2. Why am I not surprised? ;-) You'll have to recite some for me sometime.

3. The bully should have gotten in trouble too! And you should have been given a pass for putting up with it for so long.

4. I always thought I was weird enough without them.

5. Purple is good! The color of royalty!

6. That's good to know!

7. Yes - that would be difficult. I've never shown little girl I can wiggle my ears.

8. Sure I do! We'll share a few pints and sing some Irish drinking songs!

9. Looney Tunes always had the best lines!

10. That is sweet! :-)

Anonymous said...

Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogoves and the meme raths outgrabe.

That's all I remember off the top of my head, and even at that, I'm not sure I got Lewis Carroll's spelling correct. I do remember reciting that much of it in college. One of my housemates thought I'd gone completely off the deep end, and reported me to the campus shrink, who fortunately was familiar with Jabberwocky.

Kelly said...

What is Jabberwocky?