Friday, September 16, 2005

Welcome to Des Moines 360!

I thought it was time I joined the great American experiment and start a blog of my own. I chose the name Des Moines 360 because I wanted something that would allow me to write about anything I wanted while still having some kind of anchor. Living and working in Des Moines, it seemed like a natural fit to mention it in the title. I hope you will find my blog interesting, funny, irreverent, enjoyable and maybe even infuriating at times.

For instance – I thought with my first post I would confess one of my darkest secrets….I hated The Da Vinci Code. I know – I’m probably the only person on the planet minus the Pope who didn’t like it but that’s the truth. Maybe hate is too strong of a word. The book just didn’t “do it” for me. Here’s what didn’t happen. Upon finishing the book I did not close it with a sigh, embrace it to my chest, cast my eyes heavenward and say a silent prayer thanking God for Dan Brown’s very existence.

It was more like, “Glad that’s over with….” To quote Dorothy Parker, “This book is not to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.” My biggest criticism was that on every other page the main characters were doing the Homer Simpson – smacking themselves in the forehead with a “DOH! How could I have been so stupid not to remember INSERT STARTLING REVELATION HERE.” This is the only technique that seems to move the plot forward. Once or twice is okay but when it’s every chapter it just gets stupid. It reminded me of a Saturday Night Live skit.

It sounds like the filming for the movie is well underway. Ron Howard is directing – here’s hoping he can eliminate some of the more ridiculous Homer moments.

News from Des Moines
On Sunday, Oct. 9, the Republican Jewish Coalition & Marvin Pomerantz is playing host to former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer. Mr. Fleischer is giving a speech at the Embassy Suites on the River at 7:00 p.m. – doors open at 6:30 p.m. The event is free but you will need tickets. Contact Nicole or Diana at 888/722-4704 or diahansen@netins.net or nicolesl@netins.net.

Check out my blog later – I’ll try to give a full report.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank God you hated it! I can't even bring myself to read the bloody thing!
Congrats on the blog!
bx