Wednesday, September 21, 2005

What can cows teach us about Corporate America?

In 1987, my family lived in Colorado in a very rural area. One day, a friend of my dad’s asked us if we would help him round up his cows. We were not “farm folk” we lived in town so we had very little experience with cattle but we said we would be happy to help.

The cattle drive went well – no major upsets. After lunch, dad asked if there was anything else we could help with before we went home. The rancher said we could help preg test cows if we wanted to. Dad says, “Sure! Why not?”

Now for those of you who are unfamiliar with the pregnancy testing of cattle, let me explain a few things. The process itself is relatively simple. The cows are numbered with washable orange spray paint and then herded one at a time through a narrow shoot. They are then held for the pregnancy examination.

Before I continue - in order to avoid some of the more graphic details I want you all to picture in your mind a ranch hand dressed in long sleeve canvas overalls and wearing a rubber glove on one hand. Not just any ordinary rubber glove. This glove goes all the way up to your shoulder. Hold that image for a second...let it sink in.... Okay! Moving on!


Why are you looking at me like that and why are you wearing that glove?

The examination is “performed” and the ranch hand yells out the cows number and then either a “P” for pregnant or “O” for open. All this is written down by another ranch hand with a clip board.

I was lucky because I was the one with the clipboard that day. But I wasn’t completely safe. I was standing a good distance away and I was still being showered occasionally with mud and “cow debris.” I had to keep wiping off my clipboard just so I could write. Thankfully I was wearing my dad’s jacket at the time.

So what did I learn? What can preg testing cows teach us in Corporate America?

1. The most important job is not always the most glamorous or the most desired. Anytime a job requires you to wear rubber gloves it decreases the glamour factor – in my opinion.

2. It is crucial to have the right tools to do the job. Preg testing cows for example is no place for flip flops and tank tops.

3. And finally, when the poo starts to fly it is helpful to keep a sense of humor (and to be wearing someone else’s jacket).

Looking back it really makes me appreciate the fact I have a nice, safe, clean desk job. Although there are days I feel like there isn't much difference. Some days you are the ranch hand and other days...well...you get the idea.

No comments: