Wednesday, October 19, 2005

340 million smackers

Powerball fever is alive and well. Stores on the Illinois/Iowa border sold so many tickets they ran out of paper to print them. I can count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of times I’ve played Powerball my entire life. I only pay attention to it when the jackpot is really huge – 340 million qualifies as really huge.

I never buy more than five bucks worth when I do play. I came close to buying a few tickets for tonight’s drawing. I even allowed myself to daydream about what I would do if I won; a stupid daydream since I never bought any tickets. I’m a really lousy gambler – all talk and no action. At least I still have my $5. Maybe I’ll go out for a drink. If I put my money down at the bar at least I know I’ll get something back.

The get rich quick scheme is so tempting. Oh to be free of money worries! To have the ability to be able to buy anything you want at the moment you see it or think it is a power I’ve never had and I probably never will. Money can’t buy happiness but it does give you security. You might sleep better when you don’t have to worry about bouncing a check or floating the car payment.

I’m not materialistic. I’m perfectly happy buying my clothes at Khol’s and J.C. Penny. I don’t dream about Kate Spade purses or Nine West shoes. Shopping is not a hobby of mine. I shop sporadically and only when I’m in need of something – one look at my wardrobe would tell you that.

I wear things and wear them out. I use things until they can’t be used. I still carry a wallet a friend gave me ten years ago. She didn’t want it anymore because it didn’t fit the new purse she bought. It is still functional so I still use it. She asked me why I don’t replace it. I told her I would buy a new wallet when the zipper on this one gave out. I like the zipper.

I’m not cheap – just practical – my Scottish upbringing perhaps. But I could learn to be frivolous. I could be materialistic if given the means. I could be very generous too. A million to my alma mater – maybe they’ll name a building after me. I’d give another cool mil to a favorite charity or two. I would make an excellent philanthropist.

A world traveler – I could do that. I’d find the most out of the way place, some obscure spot on the globe. I could study koalas in Australia. I could visit a Buddist temple in Indonesia. I could tour the Holy Lands; the stones under my feet, the sand through my fingers. I could take pictures of people and places by the hundreds and be very very happy.

I could be wacky and unpredictable. Maybe I’ll rent out Disney World for the day; treat all of Des Moines to one big giant happy hour; buy and island…

I could do all these things…but I didn’t buy any Powerball tickets. And even if I did I probably wouldn’t win and God seems really busy right now so I would never ask for a miracle. So I guess I’ll keep shopping at Kohl’s and carrying my old wallet. Good luck to those of you who bought tickets. I hope your dreams come true.

No comments: