Monday, October 10, 2005

“My name is Ari Fleischer…and I’m not running for anything…”

From his opening statement, former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer had the audience eating out of his hand at the downtown Marriott in Des Moines, Iowa last night. He gave a great speech about some of his more memorable moments and personal thoughts on serving at the White House under President George W. Bush. After his speech, he answered questions, shook hands and signed autographs. The Republican Jewish Coalition sponsored the event. Republican activist and well-known Iowa businessman, Marvin Pomerantz introduced Mr. Fleischer.

Overall, I was very impressed with Mr. Fleischer. He was funny, warm and personable. He was able to connect with his audience on a level most public speakers cannot. I’m sure the charm he exuded and skill in which he played with the audience was only a taste of what the White House Press core experienced on a daily basis. Maybe he should reconsider and run for public office – I think he would go far.

His current speaking tour is partially to promote his new book, Taking Heat: The President, the Press and My Years in the White House. Many in the audience had copies of his book for him to sign although it was not being sold at the event itself. I have not had the chance to read it yet but word is it is excellent.

Other notables in attendance were former Iowa Governors Terry Branstad and Bob Ray, and Senator Charles Grassley. Yours truly was able to meet and greet all of the VIPs. Congressman Jim Nussle and Bob Vanderplaats both had booths set up with campaign swag. I saw Vanderplaats but did not see Nussle.

Iowa politics
Iowa’s political season is heating up with 2006 mid terms and 2008 wannabes testing pre-caucus waters. John Kerry was in Des Moines over the weekend and Newt Gingrinch has been sighted at least twice over the past year. Hoping to get to more political events like this one – I’m feeling the political bug biting again. Ouch!

No comments: