Friday, February 24, 2006


If I were a rich man...

...all day long I'd say, "When did I turn into a dude and where did all this money come from?"

Or maybe more accurately, "Woo-hoo! Money! But where the heck did *this* come from?"

Touchy subject
I have to say something about this whole Iowa Lottery Touch Play controversy. For those of you unfamiliar with the topic, Touch Play are lottery machines that play like slot machines. The state has allowed local businesses (gas stations, grocery stores…etc…) that currently sell lottery tickets to have these “pseudo” slot machines in their stores. No one under 21 is allowed to play so the machines are roped off and there are signs posted, but they are still in plain view to anyone else, usually right by the cash register.

Several complaints have been filed; some from recovering gambling addicts who walked unknowingly into the stores where the machines were located. They say the machines are so much like regular slot machines it caused them a great deal of distress and in some cases were responsible for set backs in their recovery.

Click here to see the Touch Play machines

Other complaints come from parents who don’t want their kids exposed to what they say amounts to gambling in a public place. Lawmakers are now discussing increasing fines for minors who are caught gambling.

Task force targets retailers, minors for underage gambling


The truth hurts
Now I feel bad saying this because I know people who work for the Iowa Lottery, and if the lottery took a hit they would certainly feel it as well. However…

1. The Touch Play machines are slot machines and should not be in grocery stores and gas stations.
2. The lottery itself, while a cash cow for the state, is simply a tax on the poor and has few if any social redeeming qualities.
3. I’m sorry that businesses now depend on the increased revenue from the machines, but someone really should have thought this through a little more. Instead we are now having to increase the fines for underage gambling, and create a whole new batch of silly rules to try and create “buffer zones” around the machines.

In the interest of full disclosure, yes – I have bought an occasional lottery ticket (estimated 5 tickets in 10 years). I’m not saying we need to dump the entire lottery system but somewhere along the way the Touch Play machines crossed an invisible line. Was walking to the counter and buying a lottery ticket so inconvenient? Do we really need a Las Vegas casino atmosphere in every gas station and grocery store?

No – I don’t have a lot of dollars in my pocket but am I the only one with any common sense?

Touch Play logo from www.oasisgamingusa.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee...ok, I'm not going to say what I'm thinking.

That's a weird logo. It looks like the hand is flipping you off.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

I noticed that too! Sick minds think alike. ;-)

Hausfrau said...

Touch play? Uhhh ... yuck. I probably shouldn't say what I'm thinking either.

As for the Iowa lottery ... my mom has been a convience store manager for most of my life. She was pleased as punch they were getting these new machines ... so she can play them. So sad. I've watched her throw untold amounts of money first into scratch tickets, then the lotto, and finally the casinos. She's one of those women redeeming a coupon for a free limo ride and tokens, plays 3 slot machines all at once, and has tickets to the Merle Haggard later that evening.

All this and Bingo weekly too. Ugh...

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Why whatever could you be thinking Caroline? My innocent mind can scarcely comprehend. ;-)

I'm a terrible gambler - meaning I'm very bad at it, meaning I don't understand the attraction. The one time I played the slots I lost $5 and was depressed the rest of the evening thinking of all the other things I could have spent the money on. Now on the rare occasion when I'm in a casino I head for the bar - at least there I know when I put my money down I'll get something in return. ;-)

Gracious Acres said...

You funny...I'll be in your fair city (try not to laugh) today for a conference. Love your quote ("I can fake sincerity, but I can't fake enthusiasm") and I plan to use it soon - - now THAT'S reality!

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Thanks GA! Glad you like the quote. Hope the bright lights of Des Moines don't dazzle you too much. Thanks for stopping by!