Saturday, February 11, 2006

When worlds collide

And so ends another horrible week at work; one, maybe two more weeks before things let up. It’s time like this I wish I kept cyanide capsules in my desk. One more stupid question, one more last minute change, one more moronic request and I could reach into my drawer, grab a little white pill and check myself out.

This is all an exaggeration of course (I would never really do this) but adequate to explain my current frustration. This is a busy time of year for my department. Everyone is expected to put in the extra hours needed to do the job. I’ve worked through lunches and my workout schedule is a shambles.

It stinks but what can I do? It only lasts for a few weeks. If it was year round, then that would be a different story. I’m always willing to stay late or take work home when I have to but it’s different when you have a kid. You can’t be in two places at once. Something will always have to give. This is when my work world collides with my family life.

Darling husband is in graduate school two nights a week (two nights in a row I might add). Those are nights where it is physically impossible for me to stay late at work because I am the only one who can pick up darling daughter from daycare. I can take work home with me (most of the time). There are some things that can only be done at work. The problem with taking work home is by the time I get dinner on the table and then darling daughter to bed I’m wiped out. Stick a fork in me, I’m done. The last thing I have energy for is to fire up the computer and put in another couple hours.

The women inside my head
A lot of women live inside my head. I don’t think I need to explain this – don’t all women have other women living inside their head?

Anyway – the problem is I feel like my Murphy Brown has got my Donna Reed in a headlock. Murphy wants to do a good job at the office, impress the hire ups and enjoy all the monetary rewards and recognition hard work brings. Donna aches to spend time with her daughter knowing full well the child won’t be 3 ½ forever. She understands that being a good wife and mother is worth more than a six figure salary, the corner office or ride on the company jet. She wants to return to the simpler things (not easier, just simpler).

The wife of noble character
Wouldn’t it be great if I could get these two women to work together instead of working against each other? I haven’t quite figured out how to do this yet. But it’s something I think about. Read Proverbs 31: 10-31 and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

The woman in this passage had it all – a strong Christian, loving wife and mother, good homemaker and a very shrewd business woman. That’s what I want to be – or at least as close as I can get. Not sure if I could ever master the sewing part – I can barely sew on a button – but maybe the rest I could do. I’ve got to get through the next couple weeks first and to do that Murphy is going to have to rule the roost for awhile…(…sigh…)

Hang in there Donna...it will be your turn again soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wanna open a quilt shop with me? One of us would have to move though.....;-)

Hang in there. You're an amazing woman, and you manage to balance your life with grace. Murph will move over when it's Donna's turn. She's too smart to mess with Donna.