I found this intriguing little quiz courtesy of the Laughing Frog. I thought for sure my accent was all screwed up: Born in Philadelphia, lived in South Jersey, went to high school in Colorado, and graduated from college in Iowa where I have stayed ever since. Surely…surely my South Jersey accent was nothing more than a colorful memory. I guess not…
| What American accent do you have? Your Result: Philadelphia Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard. | |
| The Northeast | |
| The Midland | |
| The Inland North | |
| The South | |
| Boston | |
| The West | |
| North Central | |
| What American accent do you have? Take More Quizzes | |
How is this possible? I left New Jersey when I was 14, the summer before I started high school. I told hubby about my quiz results.
HUBBY: What did you need to take a quiz for? I could have told you that.
I guess you can take the girl out of Jersey…
I had to laugh when I read the comments on the quiz:
If you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.
When I first moved to Colorado, the first question people would ask me (usually two sentences into the conversation) was, "Where are you from?" One day, a friend of mine came home with me after school. My mom stopped in the room to say hello and chatted for a minute. When she left, my friend turned to me with eyes the size of dinner plates and asked:
FRIEND: Is your mom BRITISH?!?!?!
DMG: Uh....no...
Must have been the Philly accent that threw her...but British? You've got to be kidding me!!!
3 comments:
They were right about me, too. Inland North. Not only do I get asked whether I'm from Wisconsin, I'm In it! But, I do NOT call soda "pop".
I had a science teacher that was ALWAYS singing that song : )
Midlands.
' "You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." '...'You have a good voice for TV and radio.'
I'll take it.
Post a Comment