Because I didn’t have enough to do already…
I failed my glucose test Thursday (test for gestational diabetes) so now I get to go back for a three hour glucose test on Friday. I hadn't really planned on a long doctor's appointment this week (in addition to all the other things I am doing) so I'm not terribly happy about this surprise.
Don't get me wrong - I am concerned about the test but right now I am more annoyed than worried. I didn't have any trouble passing the glucose test with my first pregnancy so it came as a bit of a shock when I failed this one. As an eternal optimist, I just naturally assume tests like this will come back okay so when the odd test comes back goofy it tends to knock me back on my heels a little. Maybe I should try to think more like a hypochondriac.
If the second test comes back okay, then great, perfect, fabulous.... If not...crap.
Gestational diabetes is one of the most common pregnancy complications and when treated and monitored correctly it really isn't a big deal. But the prospect of having a science project (multiple daily blood sugar tests and a strict diet) in addition to surviving all the aches and pains of the third trimester does not having me jumping for joy.
Who am I kidding...nothing could make me jump for joy right now. Pregnant mommies can't jump.
The good news is even if I have gestational diabetes I am not condemned to diabetes for life. In most cases, once the pregnancy is over your blood sugar levels return to normal and everything is hunky dory again.
That concludes my personal pep talk from me to me.
Any mommies out there who have gone through the three hour glucose trial and the test came back okay?
...sigh...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, don't get me started on the glucose test! The first pregnancy, I flunked the one hour, then threw up an hour into the three hour. Bam went that day. The second time around I did pass the three hour test.
With my second daughter, I again flunked the one hour test, and the three hour test results the first time were iffy, so my obstetrician had me take the three hour test again. That time, it came back acceptably.
Did I mention I HATE that sugar drink crap with a passion, and that I HATE needles, and that I had to take the gestational diabetes test SIX TIMES with TWO kids? I feel your pain.
Yep. I've never passed the one hour. But passed the three hour with three of my kiddos.
I had gestational diabetes with baby #1 20 years ago. It was a bit of a pain, especially the monitoring, but no further sugar problems since then.
Sorry. I didn't come back ok. But, my levels were back to normal within HOURS of giving birth to the boyos. Amazing, really.
You're going to be fine tomorrow, since your first results were so close to normal. I've got my fingers crossed for you, my dear. *s*
Post a Comment