Phantom-ologyI had the itch the other day to listen to our Phantom of the Opera CD; one of my favorite musicals (cried like a baby when I saw it at the Civic Center). Darling daughter really likes music and I thought it would be a nice "teachable moment" if I took the time to tell her the story - the condensed, G rated version.
I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Trying to explain the complex, psychological make up of a character like the Phantom in terms a 4 year old can understand is no walk in the park.
DMG: The Phantom loves Christine so he took her to be with him but then Christine took his mask off and he got mad...
Darling Daughter: Why did he get mad?
DMG: Because he didn't want her to see him because he's ugly.
Darling Daughter: Why did she take his mask off?
DMG: Uh..well... She thought he was playing dress up and wanted to see who he really was but then she saw he was really ugly underneath and...
Darling Daughter: Why is he ugly?
DMG: He has a bad boo-boo on his face.
Darling Daughter: A boo-boo?!?! Why does he have a boo-boo!
DMG: I think he had an accident or something.
Darling Daughter: Is the Phantom a bad guy?
DMG: Well....yes...but he's a sad bad guy. People were mean to him because he is ugly and that made him a bad guy.
Darling Daughter: I don't like bad guys!
DMG: But he kind of became a good guy at the end. Remember in Beauty and the Beast the Beast is scary on the outside but he's a nice guy on the inside?
Darling Daughter: Uh-huh..
DMG: The Phantom is kind of like that. He was really naughty but then he did the right thing at the end because he let Christine go so she could be with Raoul. Christine and Raoul love each other.
Darling Daughter: OH!
It must have made some kind of impression on her because now she's walking around with one hand over half of her face and singing, "I am the Phantom of the Opera!!!" I can imagine the conversation I'll have with her if we listen to The Mikado...
DMG: So Yum-Yum and Nanki-Poo love each other and want to get married...
Darling Daughter: Nanki-Poo!?!?!? That's silly!
DMG: That's his name - Nanki-Poo.
Darling Daughter: Oooh! You said a naughty word! Daddy! Mommy said poo!!!
1 comment:
Don Giovanni can wait too, but if you like mozart The Magic Flute should be great at this age.
My daughter (not tone deaf, but also not good at hitting the right notes) fancies herself a coloratura as she belts the Queen of the Night's runs.
Post a Comment