Sunday, September 03, 2006

Great googly moogly!

Almost a full week has passed since my last post! Have I really been that busy? Musta been...

FOOBAH FOOBAH FOOBAH!!!
This is the opening weekend of the college football season. Three guesses as to what hubby is doing...right...now.

At times like this, he likes to remind me, "Well, you knew when you met me I was a huge college sports nut." I really don't mind as much as he thinks I do. I just like to give him a hard time about it.

Think about it - of all the vices or hobbies he could have this one is pretty tame. After all, I always know where he is, right? And more importantly, he doesn't let it interfere with his responsibilities of being hubby or daddy.

Mr. Metrosexual
Here's something else about hubby you may not know. He is actually pretty handy to have around for fashion advice. I am a notoriously bad shopper (see previous posts) and because of that my wardrobe is a fashion wasteland.

Fall and Spring are always a good time to reorg closets and pitch clothes you're not wearing or (sadly) clothes that no longer fit you. Hubby helped me earlier today by going through my entire wardrobe (shoes included) to figure out just exactly what do I have in terms of business wear and what do I still need. He even went as far as to help pick out new outfits. For a heterosexual, red blooded American male, he's pretty good at it.

The Sniper
Snipe - to aim a carping or snide attack - snip·er noun

When I was in high school, I was unfortunate to have as a "friend" a Sniper. She would be friendly one minute and then verbally assault you the next in the disguise of a joke. You were expected to play the dutiful stooge and laugh along with her. If you took offense, you were "too sensitive" or "wearing your heart on your sleeve."

I'm just kidding! Can't you take joke?!?

There's a big difference between people laughing with you and people laughing at you.

In high school I was a door mat. You could say anything to me and I would stand there like a moron and not say anything back. Or I'd think of the perfect thing to say in response...three days later.

Thankfully, some things do change. I am not a door mat (or at least not as much of one) and I do stand up for myself now, which is good...because I am friends with another Sniper.

How is it I always attract these people?

Stay on her good side and you are safe from her most vicious attacks, but even her friends are not completely immune to her verbal salvos. So what's a person to do? On one hand, she is my friend - she has many wonderful qualities when her nasty streak isn't in control. I try to limit the amount of time I spend with her when I know she is in one of her "moods."

The way I see it, I have two choices -

1) Try to ignore it and deal with the increasing resentment later and hope it doesn't burst onto center stage as an emotional eruption (a.k.a. blow crazy) at some inappropriate moment of time in the unforeseen future...

...or...

2) Do my best to parry her verbal thrusts with my own witty comebacks (pfffffffttt! Yeah, right!)

...okay, three choices...

3) The Dr. Phil method - directly confront her and say, "It hurts my feelings when you..."

Strike that - I hate the warm-and-fuzzy-lets-talk-about-our-feelings method. Not sure this method would work for a Sniper because their snipey nature makes them hone in on other people's weaknesses. I might as well strip naked, dip myself in BBQ sauce and try to have a "meaningful dialogue" with the lions at the Blank Park Zoo.

3b) Passive Aggressive - use her sniping as blog fodder (blodder?) and hope she doesn't read my blog.

Hmmmmm.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for 3b. But you knew I would. :-)

Hey, it helped me.

Rick said...

- Go Buckeyes! :-)
- I've associated with Snipers occasionally, not by choice. I dish it right back out. Most times, they don't recognize it's a problem anyway. If you call them on it, it just gives them more fodder.
- Go Buckeyes! :-)

Jonathon S.B. Tiercel said...

Having been with you in High School, I know with whom you speak... may she trip on her own shoe laces...
Although I never saw you as a doormat... more as someone out of my league, which I envied that other witless wonder you dated back then. But I digress...

As for the sniper, I usually match them point for point. They are too base to really understand what they are doing, and I don't have the time or patience to deal with them directly - so...

Good luck and enjoy that sport thing... yeah... go someone?