Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Doing my civic doody

There are always too many Democratic congressmen, too many Republican congressmen, and never enough U.S. congressmen.
~Author Unknown


Yup - I voted. Who did I vote for? For that answer, please refer to my other web site, noneofyourdamnbusiness.com. ;-)

Unlike Nancy Dancehall's election day blues, my voting experience was mostly uneventful....mostly. The one thing I always have trouble with is the first part when they look up my name in the great big book of voters.

What's in a name?
When Hubby and I were married, my whimsical/independent nature decided to keep my maiden name and do the hyphenated last name thing, JONES-SMITH. My last name is actually hyphenated without the hyphen (JONES SMITH), which really blows people's minds but I'll save that for another post.

My reasons for doing so were part personal and part professional. I had several years of work experience/writing under my maiden name and I didn't want to disconnect myself from that body of work. It's usually not a big deal but occasionally it causes some vexation such as on election day.

I walked up to the table and gave the poll worker my last name. Names have been changed to protect the guilty:

DMG:
(cheerfully) My last name is JONES SMITH. It's a hyphenated name.

PW#1: (cheerfully) Oh! Then you are probably listed under "S" for Smith.

DMG:
(cheerfully) Actually, I'm guessing you'll probably have me listed under "J."

PW#1: (cheerfully to PW#2) Would you look this woman up under "S" for me?

PW #2: (cheerfully) Certainly!

DMG: (still cheerful) I really think I'll be listed under "J". My full name is DMG JONES SMITH. The last name is JONES SMITH. I have trouble with this every year.

PW#2: (cheerfully but confused) Huh, I'm not finding her!

PW#1: (confused but still cheerful) Really? Let me see.

Both PWs now have their noses in the wrong book.

DMG: (cheerful but faking it) I bet if you look in the "Js" I'll be right there. See, they always list me under "J" because the last name JONES SMITH begins with a "J."

SIDE NOTE: This election day moment was brought to you by the letters S and T and U and P and I and D!

PW#2: (still irritatingly cheerful) She's not in the "S" book!

PW#1: (surprised and irritatingly cheerful) Really? Okay - I guess I'll try my book.

DMG: (wishing I had a cyanide capsule in my purse but maintaining fake smile) I'm positive I'm in the "Js." This happens all the time.

PW#1: (with cheerful surprise) Well, here you are right here! How about that!

DMG: (fake cheerfulness and sincere relief) Great! Thanks!

The poll workers were long on nice but short on listening comprehension. Did they not hear me? Or did they just not want to pay attention to what I had to say? They didn't seem like the poll-worker-on-a-power-trip type. Is a hyphenated name that difficult of a concept to grasp?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all due respect to my sainted grandmother who never missed working an election:

I swear, poll workers are from another planet.

At best.

At worst, they're brought out of frozen storage, where they've waited patiently since Der Fuhrer lost power.

I like the 'brought to you by the letters...' bit. :-)

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hey ND - Being a poll worker is a thankless job...

...sometimes it's cuz we don't appreciate how hard of a job it is...

...and sometimes it's because they do such a bad job you really don't want to thank them but you feel like you should cuz that's how your mother raised you...

Glad you liked the "letters bit." I wrote it just for you - I wanted to make you laugh! :-)

Tom B said...

I agree, some of the Poll workers just don't have a clue or they are old enough to remember voting for George Washington!
That's why absentee voting is the easiest way to go.

Marie N. said...

Yes, I think they are all just old enough to know better than any young wipper-snapper under age 65.

Rick said...

DMG - I'm sorry, but did you say something?

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hey Thomas! Thanks for dropping by! Absentee is an option but I've had trouble with that as well.

Marie - I wonder if you are right. Maybe they ignored me because heaven forbid I was trying to tell them how to do their job. Next time I'll just sit back and wait and see what they do.

Quipper - *snort!* You crack me up dude!

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Thomas - Another Iowa blogger? Sweet!

Joseph Broad said...

They said over here that the Nov 7th election was the most important election that Tony Blair would face before he stepped down. I understand their point, in as if Bush looses face on Iraq than Blair will suffer for his doglike expressions on that issue - it was still interesting.
Therefore, I wonder, considering that this election was seen as so vital over here to our PM's authority - shouldn't we have got a vote as well?
Dantares.

Rick said...

Dantares, you asked, "shouldn't we have got a vote as well?".

No. But then again, EU judicial precedent should hold no weight in the US judicial system, but it does thanks to the supreme court.

The U.S. is letting its sovereignty slip out of its grasp. That's a problem.

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud reading this. I have had similar experiences when they wouldn't let me vote until I filled out a second card because I failed to include my middle name in my signature...

...if they would just ask everyone for photo ID, many of these issues would go away.