Sunday, March 18, 2007

Shop till you scream

I was going to blog about marching in the Saint Patrick’s Day parade yesterday (it was a blast!) but first I have to vent about our shopping trip today.

Darling daughter is in desperate need of some new tops, preferably long sleeve since it will be a while yet before anyone can comfortably wear short sleeves without a sweatshirt or a jacket. She's usually easy to shop for but not today.

Could I find any long sleeve t-shirts or blouses? No – but there was a fantastic selection of halter tops, tank tops, sleeveless and short sleeve shirts. Yup – the stores skipped spring and went right to summer. Never mind that it’s March. Forget we live in Iowa. Disregard the fact it’s not unheard of to have snow in late April. Just yesterday we had an inch of fresh snow on the ground but all the stores think it’s summer.

When were we supposed to buy spring clothes – back in December? I guess that makes sense since retailers now put Halloween candy in the stores in early August and Christmas decorations are found in some stores year round.

We went to four different stores and the selection was all the same. And don’t get me started on the Easter dresses. Only in Iowa do the girls wear their pretty pastel short or no sleeve Easter dresses to church with a big bulky winter coat on top.

There can only be one explanation – the retailers are all insane.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Easter is certainly approaching fast...and it's nice to see people getting excited about it...and well you can also visit my blog on Easter Greetings sometime for some more resources and ideas for Easter...so visit soon and enjoy all the fun and joy it's filled up with!!!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

There's always online. I was scanning online kids clothing retailers just last night, and there are still some pretty spring clothes out there.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hey Barb! - Yes, I had thought about looking online but hadn't gotten around to it yet. Still ticks me off the retailers pulled all their spring stuff so early. If they want to put out summer stuff - fine - but would it kill them to keep some spring stuff out a little longer?