
Self medicating with Rocky Road
Here I sit, self medicating my pregnancy heartburn with the aforementioned Rocky Road ice cream. There was a time early in this pregnancy when I was bound and determined to not gain as much weight as the first time around. Well – another turn of the screw – and as Rhett so famously said to Scarlet , “I don’t give a damn.”
…28 weeks and counting…
All aboard the Bi-Polar Express
This is going to be a very a rather disjointed post but before I delve into the week's events I want to first thank all of you for your encouragement and support from my last post. It’s been a long and moody week for me but I think I am feeling better.
Life is hard. Being pregnant is harder. But instead of crawling into a hole I need to remember to lift up my head and trust that God is guiding me through it. I’ve said before, God works out of a different Day Planner than I do and His organizational skills and timing are a wee bit better than mine.
Send in the clowns
It seems no matter how tired or moody or disgusted I am with the world, clowning always seem to cheer me up. Instructor Dude and I clowned at my church fundraiser this week. The fundraiser was for the same bunch of preschool kids we clowned for the week before and they all recognized us!
They came running up to us all smiles. The parents were happy to see us too – I kept hearing, “You must be the clowns! We’ve heard so much about you!” That was my warm fuzzy for the week. It’s nice to know we were able to make a difference.
On Saturday, a bunch of clowns from our local alley did our thing at the March of Dimes charity walk in Des Moines. Again – it was a great time! I was wiped out by the time I got home but the cute kids and the smiles made it all worth it.
The conversational redirect
A learned survival skill…I think I've mentioned it before.
DMG: (sudden and dramatic) My water!!!!….(pause)….glass is empty!
That’s what I told Hubby I would do during lunch today with mother-in-law if I suddenly found myself witnessing a third party conversation. You know what I mean – when two people have a conversation but the topic is really meant for your benefit.
My MIL is a master of this. Whenever she wants something from me, she has a “conversation” with someone else in the room loud enough for me to hear in order to drop me a hint.
Here’s an example of an opening line from a conversation that took place at my baby shower when I was pregnant with Darling Daughter.
MIL: (to another party guest) I think grandmas should have baby showers too, don’t you?
She’s done this with other relatives as well as complete strangers. Be forewarned – if you ever visit me while she is present you might find yourself unknowingly participating in her passive-aggressive kabuki theater. She hopes I will engage in the conversation and give her what she wants but…I never do. I ignore it because after all I’m not the one she’s having the conversation with.
I’m happy to say I didn’t have to use my “water glass” line at lunch today so I will hold onto it just in case I need it again before baby comes.
Final thoughts
Kerner mentioned in his last comment the bomb scare that occurred at the Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC). It turns out the mysterious package was just a big box of condoms that was mailed to the human sexuality class. Here’s how I think the headline should have read.
DMACC building prematurely evacuated due to box of condoms
*snicker!* :-) The Des Moines Register staff showed the proper restraint and a bit more maturity.
Condoms trigger DMACC scare
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770426041
Condoms that spurred scare were meant for class
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770427034
Here I sit, self medicating my pregnancy heartburn with the aforementioned Rocky Road ice cream. There was a time early in this pregnancy when I was bound and determined to not gain as much weight as the first time around. Well – another turn of the screw – and as Rhett so famously said to Scarlet , “I don’t give a damn.”
…28 weeks and counting…
All aboard the Bi-Polar Express
This is going to be a very a rather disjointed post but before I delve into the week's events I want to first thank all of you for your encouragement and support from my last post. It’s been a long and moody week for me but I think I am feeling better.
Life is hard. Being pregnant is harder. But instead of crawling into a hole I need to remember to lift up my head and trust that God is guiding me through it. I’ve said before, God works out of a different Day Planner than I do and His organizational skills and timing are a wee bit better than mine.
Send in the clowns
It seems no matter how tired or moody or disgusted I am with the world, clowning always seem to cheer me up. Instructor Dude and I clowned at my church fundraiser this week. The fundraiser was for the same bunch of preschool kids we clowned for the week before and they all recognized us!
They came running up to us all smiles. The parents were happy to see us too – I kept hearing, “You must be the clowns! We’ve heard so much about you!” That was my warm fuzzy for the week. It’s nice to know we were able to make a difference.
On Saturday, a bunch of clowns from our local alley did our thing at the March of Dimes charity walk in Des Moines. Again – it was a great time! I was wiped out by the time I got home but the cute kids and the smiles made it all worth it.
The conversational redirect
A learned survival skill…I think I've mentioned it before.
DMG: (sudden and dramatic) My water!!!!….(pause)….glass is empty!
That’s what I told Hubby I would do during lunch today with mother-in-law if I suddenly found myself witnessing a third party conversation. You know what I mean – when two people have a conversation but the topic is really meant for your benefit.
My MIL is a master of this. Whenever she wants something from me, she has a “conversation” with someone else in the room loud enough for me to hear in order to drop me a hint.
Here’s an example of an opening line from a conversation that took place at my baby shower when I was pregnant with Darling Daughter.
MIL: (to another party guest) I think grandmas should have baby showers too, don’t you?
She’s done this with other relatives as well as complete strangers. Be forewarned – if you ever visit me while she is present you might find yourself unknowingly participating in her passive-aggressive kabuki theater. She hopes I will engage in the conversation and give her what she wants but…I never do. I ignore it because after all I’m not the one she’s having the conversation with.
I’m happy to say I didn’t have to use my “water glass” line at lunch today so I will hold onto it just in case I need it again before baby comes.
Final thoughts
Kerner mentioned in his last comment the bomb scare that occurred at the Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC). It turns out the mysterious package was just a big box of condoms that was mailed to the human sexuality class. Here’s how I think the headline should have read.
DMACC building prematurely evacuated due to box of condoms
*snicker!* :-) The Des Moines Register staff showed the proper restraint and a bit more maturity.
Condoms trigger DMACC scare
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770426041
Condoms that spurred scare were meant for class
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770427034
3 comments:
Ugh, third-party manipulation sympathies.
Glad the clowning is good medicine for you ;-)
I agree with Marie, ugh!
If you're going to self-medicate, ice cream is the way to go!
Thanks Marie! Yes - the clowning is wonderful therapy!!!
Hey Barb! Yes - the manipulation games get old. Watch for a special Mother's Day post I'll have up soon! Ice cream cures a lot of ills.
Post a Comment