Quick hits
Howdy folks! Sorry for the long gap between postings but I’m “back in the saddle again.” While I’m half watching the Super Bowl, here are a few “quick hits” of things from the last week.
My secret shame
I need to confess a deep dark secret. I love games - board games, card games – all fairly innocent but I also love computer games. I know – 35 year old mothers should not love computer games.
I don’t play them very often – until this week, I hadn’t played one for about a year. The reason for the long gaps is because when I do play I tend to binge. The obsession only lasts for a few days and then I won’t play again for months. It’s not like I go on a 24-hour bender – I just spend what free time I do have doing nothing but.
The object of my obsession this week is a new computer game I bought with some birthday money. It’s called Pirates! There’s nothing like a little pillaging to make you forget the stresses of the week. But like most of my game obsessions the fever is already beginning to pass so I guess it’s back to reality. Darling husband will be happy – he’s tired of having conversations with me where I’m only half participating.
Big mouth
Here’s another confession. I have a big mouth. I talk too much and too loudly. I’ve had this affliction all my life. I come from a family of talkers. Too make matters worse, I get overly animated when talking about things I feel strongly about – talking with my hands is a must.
Some of my most embarrassing moments have been when someone has criticized me for being too loud or too talkative. Or worse, when I said something and immediately regretted it - the joke that fell flat, the occasional Freudian slip, or the unintentional insensitive remark. There’s a little filter between my brain and my mouth that catches all the stupid or bad things my brain tells me to say; most of the time it works but “filter failure” does occur more often than I would like.
I was reminded of all this again this week when a co-worker came and told me I was too loud on a conference call. She was really nice about it so it’s not like she was mean or anything but it made me feel really bad. I thanked her for letting me know and told her I’d try to keep it down.
We have a cube environment at work so we all have to be aware of our decibel levels as well as exercising a lot of tolerance. But now when I go to work I’m paranoid. Who else is annoyed with me for being too loud but hasn’t said anything? Darling husband thinks I’m obsessing and I should forget about it. He’s right of course but I always over analyze these things…sigh…
Odds and ends
Just a couple quick observations …
1. Isn’t Cindy Sheehan’s 15 minutes of fame up yet?
2. To the Muslims rioting over the Muhammad political cartoon – If you don’t like your beloved prophet being portrayed as a terrorist, than maybe you should stop being terrorists. Just a thought...
3. To the Canadian government – please give your border guards guns. All of us down here would really appreciate it.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20060126/ca_pr_on_na/us_cda_border
4. To Michael Moore – if you hate it here so much, then why don’t you move to Canada? Whoops! They just elected a conservative government. Well, I guess there’s always Venezuela. I hear Cuba’s nice this time of year.
5. To Coretta Scott King – rest in peace.
6. To the Flying Mango restaurant in Des Moines – you guys are great! We’ll be back!
Sunday, February 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I must confess ... I purchased Oregon Trail for my kids at a second hand shop for their old Windows 95 computer, but I've been playing it. Too fun!! Brings me back to my childhood. I remember playing that game on an ol Apple II green screen in school ... no graphics or anything. This version (though already outdated) lets you go fishing, shoot buffalo, travel down river ... fun, fun, fun. Now if the kids would just leave me alone ... I mean the lives of my wagon train are depending on me. Sheesh ;-)
Oh good! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!!
Post a Comment