Friday, September 15, 2006

BYOR (Bring Your Own Rocks)

Warning - this post might offend but I gotta call'em as I see'em. Please hold your fire until the end of the post.

Today's Headlines -

  • Man drives drunk to protest being called an alchoholic
  • Woman eats entire buffet in response to being called a fat cow
  • Homeless man strips naked, angrily shouts obscenities outside City Hall to protest being labled "crazy homeless man"

Okay - so I made those up but this one is real.

Religious Leaders Across Mideast Rage Against Pope's Comments on Islam

What is really sad is this most recent uproar is not news. The phrase "angry Muslim" is becoming a redundant redundancy. The first response to every perceived insult is to riot, throw rocks and burn things.

Why is it the world is told to be more sensitive toward or tolerant of Muslims but Muslims are never taught the same lesson? I don't see Christians rioting in the streets over Rosie O'Donnell's comments on The View.

You may fire when ready...

Picture: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=405238&in_page_id=1811&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=NEWS&ct=5

5 comments:

Joseph Broad said...

One remark which was trumpeted over here with disdain from Rosie O'Donnell some time ago:
"I don't much about Afghanistan, but speaking as a mother I know it's just full of terrorists."
As to the remarks the pope made - it's just another reason to be an atheist.
I just get disgusted when a) the most senior Christian in the world (on the grounds that he is the leader of the largest sect) uses 14th centuary dialogue in such an undiplomatic manner and b) Islamic leaders, get so offended.
And as we are guilty of more or less the same things - (though I suspect that flag-burning is a cultural response - over here we just tend to have waves of violence outside mosques) both sides are equally to blame for their stupidly thin skins and long tongues.
Dantares.

Joseph Broad said...

and besides. Don't you feel that the muslim world took the remark slightly out of context? Pope Benedict XVI quoted the Byzantine Emperor as condemning Mohammed "with startling brusqueness".
It's not exactly outright support.
Dantares.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Dantares - Excellent points!

We are all guilty of having "thin skins and long tongues" at times.

The Pope could have handled it better but once again the Muslim world is taking his comment out of context.

And finally, Rosie O'Donnell is a mental midget so for the most part I try ignore what she says.

But having said all that - it does seem (at least over here) that some religions are given special considerations that Christianity is not. I'm not saying Christians take to the streets with rocks and broken bottles but I have to wonder if that is the reason. No one seems concerned if they upset the mild mannered, turn the other cheek Christian, but the Muslims might blow something up so we better be extra careful about what we say.

Rick said...

DMG - Muslims aren't looking for context, they are looking for photo-op. They got i.

DMG says: The first response to every perceived insult is to riot, throw rocks and burn things.

Quipper says: it seems many OSU students do the same things whenever the football team wins a big game. So sad.

Rick said...

Oops, I better learn to proofread my comments. I meant to say that the Muslims "got it", that is, their photo-op.