A good friend and colleague resigned this week to move on to other opportunities outside the company. I am happy for her (she was ready for a change) but she will be missed.
Her departure has caused a bit of a stir, which I am afraid will spin into absolute chaos (office politics) before things settle down again.
Should I…
…jockey for position?
…play politics?
…align myself with more powerful factions?
Not my style…
I think I will do the unthinkable and simply keep doing my job to the best of my ability and take whatever comes my way.
I’m such a weenie…
The merry old land of registered trademarks
I wanted to include a picture from The Wizard of Oz to go along with my "flying monkey" reference, but according to Wikipedia there are no public domain images of the movie. Picky! Picky! Picky!
Click here to see a picture of Margaret Hamilton who played the Wicked Witch of the West in the movie.
Coincidentally, did you know that Margaret Hamilton was also at one time a spokes person for Maxwell House coffee?
Hmmm...taglines anyone?
- If you don't want to be a Wicked Bitch of the West, wake up with Maxwell House coffee!
- I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too! But only after I've had my second cup of Maxwell House coffee.
- Ding dong the coffee is gone! Next time make a full pot of Maxwell House coffee.
- Before you hit the road (yellow or otherwise) enjoy a cup of Maxwell House coffee.
8 comments:
DMG - what do you want? If you like what you do - and your posts indicate that you do - and you want to keep doing it, is there any need to play politics?
On the other hand, if it's the chance to regain your window....
I dunno. Isn't attempting to stay out of the active debates stil playing a part in politics - is it possible to avoid it?
"Who needs Ruby Slippers when you have Maxwell House?"
Dantares - great tag line!
Maxwell House . . . breakfast of Munchkins.
I agree with Quipper - if you want the position, you can play politics without losing your soul. There are numerous ways to "jockey for position" without coming across as overtly aggressive. And this from a fellow Des Moines-ian who knows how quirky Iowans can be while playing politics.
Quipper - Yes, I am reasonably happy with my current position but...a chance to move up would be kind of cool. And there is that window thing to consider. ;-)
Danteres - Ah yes! The classic "I'm not going to play politics" strategy. An oldie but a goodie! Nice tag line!
Hey LF - Good one! I was trying to think of a Munchkin tag line. "Are your munchkins driving you crazy? Try Maxwell House coffee."
Timothy - thanks for stopping by! I'm still trying to figure out how to play this. I know what you mean when you say "quirky Iowans." I think sometimes we are too polite and not just in business. If you've ever been at a 4 way stop with 3 other Iowans you know what I mean.
DM360 - LOL, yes, our passive aggressive natures come out best behind the wheel of a car. Good luck if you decide to go for the promotion.
DMG,
Corporate philosophy on promotions usually work in one of two (or three) ways:
1) You have already proven success in the responsibilities of the higher level position, and therefore have earned the title, salary, potted plant, window, etc.
2) You have done everything possible in your current position, but have handled none of the reponsibilities of the higher level position. This is your chance to learn the position after receiving the promotion.
3) (sometimes) Nepotism rocks!
Which does your company employ?
Post a Comment