Monday, August 28, 2006

When life gives you barf,...

...the floor probably needed cleaning anyway.

I had to leave work in a hurry Friday afternoon. Hubby had the afternoon off and picked up darling daughter mid afternoon for some Daddy/Daughter time. When I returned from my lunch time volleyball game, I had two phone messages.

Message #1 - He had picked up little girl but she puked in the daycare parking lot (not a bad place to barf) before getting into the truck. They were heading home (not the quality time he had originally envisioned).

Message #2 - Called from home. He had tried to fix the flapper on our one working toilet (our downstairs toilet was still broken). The new flapper didn't fit right and he couldn't get the old flapper back on so he was trapped in the house with a puking child and without a working toilet. He needed me to come home ASAP so he could run out and get a new flapper.

Irony knocks
The Grim Reaper wears a black cloak and carries a scythe. Sniggering Irony wears the same black cloak, a red clown nose and carries a croquet mallet with which to bonk you over the head.

Thankfully, I had taken care of my major responsibilities before leaving for volleyball. I packed up and went home. Hubby went to the hardware store. Darling daughter puked again (this time on the kitchen floor - also not a bad place to barf, vinyl floor. I was due to clean it anyway).

Little girl is fine - must have been one of those 24 hour bugs. Upstairs toilet is working again and now we actually have the downstairs toilet working too. Now we just have to fix - the ceiling fan, the front window (did I mention we broke that last weekend?), and all the other home projects we haven't completed from the last six years. (...sigh...)

Special thanks to Nancy Dancehall for making the Irony Reaper for me!!!

6 comments:

Rick said...

Ah, yes the kiddoes and the money pit. We've been in our house for eight years now, and still have a 'to do' list of major changes that dates back to that first year.

Tile - good. Carpet - bad. At least, until the kids can route themselves to the kitchen or bathroom when they get sick.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Having kids is such an adventure isn't it? We too have a to-do list for our house, even though it was only built five years ago. We'd like to get rid of ALL the carpet in our house. It just gets dirty and wears out way too quickly. Plus, our cats do not route themselves to our vinyl or faux-hardwood when they need to regurgitate a hairball!

Rick said...

Yeah, I know about the cat stuff, too. They think they own the place.

If it weren't for allergies, I would be a dog person.

Rick said...

DMG - the following video ought to cheer up you and your husband.

Anonymous said...

You know, I think I shall never look at vomit quite in the same way anymore. I mean, I used to look at it kind of out of the corner of my eye and go "Oh jeeze, vomit!" and make some gagging noises of my own, but now I shall look at it and proclaim in a loud, happy voice "Thank goodness it's on the vinyl!"

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Quipper and Barb - hubby thinks the best solution to our home improvement problems is "gasoline and match." I'm not sure this is the best route.

Irrelephant - Remember, in every life a little barf must fall. For this reason, everything should be made out of vinyl....floors, furniture, clothing, cars...etc...