Wednesday, March 28, 2007

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRG!

She was standing a few feet away on the other side of the gift shop's table display. She started to take a step away from the table so I caught her eye (full eye contact) and said over the din of the Sunday after church brunch crowd...

DMG:
Don't go anywhere. They'll probably have a table ready for us right away.

She looked me right in the eye, nodded understanding but then took another tentative step away from the group.

DMG: (forcefully) Stay right here! Stay right here! STAY...RIGHT....HERE!

Each word was punctuated with a sharp downward gesture with my index finger. There was no mistaking my meaning. She maintained eye contact, nodded each time as she continued to move in the opposite direction...then turned and walked off into the crowd. I was not in the mood to race around the table and chase her down...so I let her go.

No - I am not describing the actions of my almost five year-old daughter. THAT was my MOTHER-IN-LAW (she'll be 66 in May). She purposely ignored my instructions and walked off taking little girl with her. Incidentally, we had just finished telling darling daughter she needed to stay with us so of course GRANDMA takes matters into her own hands and does exactly what little girl wanted her to do and the opposite of what we had already decided. (grrrr!)

Throwing my hands up in despair, I turned to Hubby and asked, "What part of 'stay right here' did she not understand?" He could only grumble and shake his head. She doesn't listen to him either.

I know what you want to ask me. Did I confront her about it later? No - because I am trying...to be a more....forgiving,...tolerant...and understanding person....towards my....mother-in-law!!!!

5 comments:

Marie N. said...

ahem (of understanding). You have my complete sympathy. Cough (I know exactly what you mean).

Kelly said...

How frustrating! Why do grandparents do that? Don't they remember how frustrating it was when their parents undermined their parenting.

Anonymous said...

GAAAAA!!!!

Yet, why am I not surprised?

Rick said...

DMG - I'm sorry, but were you talking about one of my family members?

Or, as Marie said...cough!

Rick (aka Quipper)

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Marie - I think we all have at least one relative who falls into the annoying category.

Myutopia - I don't get it either. She always complains about how her mother treated her (still does), but then turns around and does the same thing to us.

ND - same old crap, different day.

Rick/Quipper - ah yes! You feel my pain?