Wild horses and gay cowboys couldn’t drag me to this movie
Some people don’t like romance movies, some don’t like horror flicks, still others don’t like sci-fi movies…. Me? I don’t care to see gay cowboys getting it on so I have chosen not to go see Brokeback Mountain. I guess I like my cowboys more John Wayne and less Nathan Lane.
Blog Reader: Well, then you must be homophobic and closed-minded. You’re obviously not an intellectual!
Give me a break! What do you want from me? I saw Rent! I loved The Bird Cage! Heck! I even watched Queer Eye for the Straight Guy until the schtick got old (hot gay men turning sloppy, socially inept straight men into somewhat passably good looking and less socially inept straight men – kind of a metrosexual blitzkrieg).
I even used to watch the Smurfs when I was little. In hindsight Vanity Smurf was gayer than the day is long (the one with the flower in his hat) – at the time I never gave it second thought.
The point is – just because I choose not to go to a movie does not make me homophobic. I am a mother of a 3 ½ year old. Do you realize how many movies I have NOT seen? Do you know how many movies I’ve CHOSEN not to see? The last movie I saw in the theater was Wallace and Grommit and the Curse of the Were Rabbit. If choosing to see or not to see a movie can label you for life, then I’ve picked up a lot of labels along the way.
Blog Reader: Don’t you want to be cool? Don’t you want to be in the know? Don’t you want to hop on the bandwagon and be able to make witty pop culture references like everybody else?
Not really…. The bandwagon looks awfully crowded from here. You do your thing and I’ll do mine.
Monday, January 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Folks, this is the same woman who wrote a poem abou the Gay Pirates of the Carribean in college!
(that'll teach you to share your blog with old college friends! ;-) )
p.s. the word verification included "GK"
Gay pirates....now that's a movie I'd go see!
I'd forgotten about the poem. "Don't touch my parrot!"
ARRRRG!
Post a Comment