The “T” stands for TOUGH!We had a close call with Grandma T this week. She’s been battling pneumonia and we were wondering if she would be admitted to the hospital. She is starting to feel better. She’s over the pneumonia but still fighting a virus of some kind. Anything can happen but for right now she’s on the mend.
A little about Grandma T
Grandma T (darling hubby’s grandmother) is 92 and still going strong. She is a wonderful cook! She can make melt in your mouth pies from scratch and the most heavenly fried chicken.
Grandma T loves to sew and is very good at crafts and puzzles although they are becoming more difficult for her. She made Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls for darling daughter (wonderful keepsakes).
She is sweet as candy when she plays with her great grandchildren but if her own children step out of line watch-out! This gal doesn’t mince words. She is ornery and full of P and V if anyone ever was. This woman is one tough old bird – and I mean that as a 100% compliment.
My favorite Grandma T story is from a few years back. I was sitting at the kitchen table with darling mother-in-law (Grandma T’s daughter) and Grandma T. MIL happened to comment that it was her ex-husband’s birthday that day. I have never met darling husband's dad – he was voted off the island long before I arrived on the scene but from the stories I’ve been told it’s no great loss.
Anyway, so MIL remarks it’s her ex’s birthday and (jokingly), “Maybe I should send him a card?” To which Grandma T replies, “I would have sent him a card but they don’t make birthday cards that say, ‘Happy Birthday, (RHYMES WITH BRASS POLE)” I almost fell out of my chair.
Another good story – shortly after I married darling hubby I was talking with Grandma T and she was telling me about how when she lived on the farm she made 5 pies (from scratch) every day for the farm hands. Then she leans toward me and with a sly grin whispers, “Men like pies!” It was if in her mind, the secret to wedded bliss was simply the ability to make a good homemade pie – and I suppose there’s a certain amount of truth to that statement. Unfortunately, this is a skill I have yet to master (at least from scratch) but no complaints from hubby so I guess I’m in the clear…at least for now (whew!).
Grandma T does ruffle feathers and like everyone she has her faults. But I have never had any trouble with her – she seems to like me. So I’m glad she’s still with us and still able to share her “pie wisdom.” Only the Lord knows for how much longer we’ll have her but I’ll take as long as I can get.
Tip of the hat to Irene Ryan who played "Granny" on The Beverly Hillbillies. Grandma T looks a lot like her. Picture from Butlerwebs.com
2 comments:
You know, there are very few men I know (even a few women) whom really enjoy a fine pie! ahem...
On the other side, it is good to know that common sense isn't dead... Sounds a lot like my grandma as well...
She sounds alot like my husband's late grandmother. I loved that woman. She passed away in 2000. I miss her.
Post a Comment