Christmas is ruined and it's all your fault!!!
What is it about the holiday season that makes families crazy? Every year we are guaranteed at least one Christmas related drama with one side of the family or the other. We know it's coming. From about Nov. 1 on, you can sense it. By Thanksgiving, you can feel it. By mid December it is a prowling beast waiting to be unleashed! It's out there and there's nothing you can do about it! Panic grips you and then with a primal Howard Dean scream it bursts into view!
YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This year was no different. For six weeks we've been trying to organize a family Christmas present exchange with my darling husband's extended family who live out of state. For six weeks we've been told nothing. For six weeks we've begged and pleaded for someone to make a decision. Then finally with a week to go before Christmas we're told it will be Christmas Eve - the exact date we had repeatedly asked for it NOT be held....(heavy sigh).
We're not going. The travel time required would ruin any plans we had for spending Christmas Eve with our darling daughter. Unfortunately, there are "family consequences" to our decision as it breaks a 38-year tradition of darling husband exchanging presents with his cousins in person. It created a bit of a drama du jour with darling husband's mother over the weekend but that seems to have tapered off - at least for now.
But I am not the only one afflicted with "Christmas Crazy" this year. I spent a good chunk of Sunday afternoon commiserating with Dear Friend from Denver over her most recent family drama. It sounds like "Deck the Halls" might turn into "Deck the In-Laws" before too long.
So I ask again - what is it about this time of year that makes people crazy? Why do some people feel it is okay to force their will or use guilt to make other family members do their bidding at Christmas - something they would never ever consider doing to their friends.
"You must (INSERT IRRATIONAL AND COMPLETELY SELFISH REQUEST HERE) else Christmas is ruined and it's all your fault!"
In the case of Dear Friend from Denver, the comments have turned downright nasty! Yeah - that will make me want to spend Christmas with you....NOT!!!
Having said all that - darling husband and I are looking forward to a nice Christmas with darling daughter. She is very excited this year and totally into the whole Santa gig! Christmas Eve will be spent at home baking cookies, listening to Christmas music, and drinking hot chocolate. I will be enjoying all of it, soaking it in and making beautiful memories. Christmas is what you make of it and I'm going to make this a good one.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I loved your guidelines for Relatives, both crazy and non! Thanks for Sunday. Merry Christmas! May you get your Woody early! I mean, you know, not early morning Woody...erm...oh, I just shouldn't be allowed out in public.
Post a Comment