Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Silent night

We have not heard from darling husband’s mother since Sunday. I find this curious because Sunday was the day darling husband put his foot down and emphatically told his mom we would not be going to Missouri for the annual Christmas present exchange with his cousins. She was not happy about it but dropped the subject when she realized she wasn’t winning the argument.

A few things I need to explain about darling mother-in-law. First – she is what I call a “challenging personality.” She likes getting her way and is never shy about expressing her opinions. Second – she doesn’t give up easily, which is why I find it interesting we have not heard from her. Just because she accepted our decision on Sunday doesn’t mean the conversation is over. Past history suggests we will have this same discussion with her at least two more times before Saturday.

I suspect she considered Sunday to be an initial skirmish and has now withdrawn to formulate a new strategy. The silence almost makes me more nervous since I don’t know what she’s up to. Time will tell.

On another subject, darling husband and I are nervously waiting the arrival of the postman. We ordered a talking Woody doll (Toy Story) online over a week ago and it still has not arrived. This is the one big present darling daughter asked Santa to bring – has been asking repeatedly for a month or more. She is only 3 ½ so this is really the first “Christmas Wish” she has put in the hands of the man in the big red suit.

We still have mail delivery tomorrow, Friday and Saturday so we’re probably worrying for nothing. Parents reading this will understand what we’re going through. You want Santa to look like a hero not a chump.

No comments: