Mourning Mondo’sMondo’s, popular West Des Moines restaurant, is revamping and totally changing their look. Good-bye Mondo’s, hello Joseph’s Steak House. I thought Mondo’s was doing well so I have no idea why the owner has decided to make the change.
Mondo’s has always been a favorite place for lunch or dinner - a great place to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, new jobs or big promotions and the occasional (not nearly frequent enough) “date night.” But best of all they had a Sunday brunch that was guaranteed to put you in a food coma for the rest of the day.
Sunday brunch at Mondo’s was also a traditional meeting place for Drake Relays weekend. Anyone coming in from out of town knew there would be a group meeting there for brunch.
But the new concept for the restaurant does not include brunch. I’m told the restaurant will only be serving dinners. Next Sunday will mark the end of Sunday brunches for Mondo’s.
We decided to pay our respects this Sunday in the only way we knew how – by eating ourselves silly.
- Chicken marsala
- Roast beef
- Pork loin
- Rotisserie chicken
- Garlic mash potatoes
- Salmon eggs benedict (regular eggs benedict for the purests)
- Home made waffles with whipped cream and maple syrup
- Made to order omelets
- Bread pudding with raspberry sauce
- Key lime pie
- Apricot cheese cake
- Decadent chocolate brownies with cream cheese icing
We’re spending the afternoon enjoying our food coma and watching basketball. Drake Relays is the end of April. The gang needs a new brunch place.
http://www.mondos.net/westdesmoines_default.htm
3 comments:
Awww, that sucks! I hate it when a favorite restaurant goes away.
However, it _does_ give you the opportunity to check out a few others...all in the name of research, of course.
I went to the U of I in Iowa City (home of Mondo's) and had the chance to meet Jim Mondonaro (sp?). He's quite a guy. Hope you find a new favorite place.
GO HAWKS!!! My husband went to Iowa - HUGE Hawk fan. He marched in the band so he is a special kind of Hawk fan - the rabid kind. ;-)
We have a short list of places we'd like to try. I'll have to follow up with another post.
Post a Comment