
Central Iowa is getting pounded with thunderstorms. The sirens have been going off all evening but the tornados/funnel clouds are all to the east of us so far. Water is pouring into our floor drain in the basement but so far the pump is keeping up. The rug in the basement is damp along one wall.
This happens every time we have a gully washer. We’ve lived here for six years and it’s never amounted into anything other than a damp rug but hubby was not happy. Sometimes hubby can be a bit highstrung (and I say that in the most loving and caring way I know how). You know in the cartoons when the cartoon character realizes he’s holding a lit stick of dynamite and he does a “wild take” (turns into a giant eye, shrieks and breaks into a million pieces, melts into a puddle…etc…) That’s hubby – but I still love him dearly. I’m more of a “Droopy Dog.” Someone hands me a lit stick of dynamite and I turn around and hand it off to someone else, “Excuse me – you dropped this.”
I made the mistake a telling little girl we might have a “tornado party,” meaning we might go to the basement and watch the weather bulletins on the TV or listen to the radio. She likes tornado parties – almost a little too much. I’ve tried to make storm warnings low key because I don’t want her terrified every time it starts to thunder. I’m thinking I did my job too well. She threw a fit when we told her the weather man said no tornados. So for about 30 minutes we had a very unhappy little girl yelling, “I want a tornado party!”
Dinner on Sunday is usual fairly simple and with the storm warnings we decided to keep it to grilled cheese sandwiches and vegetable and/or tomato soup. Darling daughter loves tomato soup but kept calling “tornado soup.”
Ornery Report
Words/phases that if I never heard again, I would be very happy:
“NO!”
“I don’t want to!”
“Grandma lets me!”
“SEE! I TOLD you!”
Picture from Campbell Soup home page: http://www.campbellsoup.com/default.aspx
4 comments:
LOL! I hope you own a copy of Twister (the movie, not the party game)to go with the Tornado Soup.
I wonder if E.'s Tornado Soup would go with Jack and Declan's meat cookies? ;-)
Meat cookies and tornado soup...
What a delicious combination!!! :-)
Oh wow! tornadoes? Thats so cool. I slept through the only serious storm in Britain that there has been in the last one hundred years. A brief gale when I was in a holiday cottage in the depths of deepest darkest Wales caused Vegetable Soup cooked on an open range to be Christmas dinner one year - it was one of the best holidays ever.
Dantares.
P.S. ooohhh - what made it especially great was that my mate had got a new Sega that year - in the middle of a power cut. hahah
Dantares -
Yes, tornados are very cool (minus the death and massive destruction). I'm one of those psychopaths who like to stand in the front yard and watch the storm clouds roll in. I've never seen a tornado live and in person but I would kind of like to (preferably from a reasonably safe distance). I could totally get into the whole storm chaser thing - ever see Twister?
SEGA! I love video games! No - they don't work well during power outages.
My word verification is fkunin - please don't take it personally!
;-)
Post a Comment