Sunday, July 09, 2006

100 things to eat in Iowa before you die

What a tasty assignment this would have been! The Des Moines Register has compiled a list of 100 "best eats" in Iowa. Here are the first 10 (alphabetical by location) to wet your appetite.

Click on the link to read the entire list for yourself.

100 things to eat in Iowa before you die

1. Taco Pizza, Happy Joe's, locations across Iowa

2. Sweet corn, Sweet Corn Festival, Adel

3. BBQ Ribs, Claxon's Smokehouse & Grill, Altoona

4. Sauerkraut Salad, Colony Inn Restaurant, Amana

5. Rhubarb wine, Ackerman Winery, Amana

6. Schild Brau Amber, Millstream Brewery, Amana Colonies

7. Sauerbraten (beef marinated in a sweet and sour sauce, made with spices and Amana wines) with potato dumplings, Ronneburg Restaurant, Amana

8. Saucy Southerner Sandwich, Hickory Park, Ames

9. Chicken Tequila Fettuccine (Chicken, onions, peppers and tequila-soy cream sauce on spinach fettuccine), Aunt Maude's, Ames

10. Denver-Style Crust Pizza, The Great Plains Sauce and Dough Co., Ames

Picture: #74. Blue Cheese, Maytag Dairy Farm, Newton, The Des Moines Register

9 comments:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

Isn't that blue cheese getting ready to go bye-bye, due to Maytag's buy-out by Westinghouse?

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hi Dan - I don't think the Maytag Dairy has any connection to Maytag appliances but I could be wrong.

Also - I believe it was Whirlpool who did the dirty deed and bought-out (now shutting down)Maytag.

Jonathon S.B. Tiercel said...

DMG - would love to have more good food, but Baghdad does not traditionally compete. They do make a dish here called "Dhoma", which is meat and rice wrapped in grape leaves... very tasty. The humus is also quite good, as long as you get it from the right place.

Getting ready to go eat at the "Sad" fob dining facility... where bad food, fat fried is the norm... indigestion, here I come...

Love ya -

Kelly said...

I have such a craving for sweet corn!

Anonymous said...

#2....droooooolll...

#10 What the...!?!? DENVER crust? *snort* People out here are pizza idiots! There IS NO Denver crust! It's pasty badness baked to bland, crusty badness.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

I did some research - Maytag Dairy was founded by the son of the guy who founded Maytag appliances but that is the only connection. We will still be able to get Maytag blue cheese.

BTW - many restaurants in Iowa serve a Maytag cheeseburger (not just blue cheese - also swiss, cheddar and Edom). Highly recommend!

Admin said...

Drool for the corn, and the blue cheese! Yes, Whirlpool owns Maytag appliances now. I think there is actually a family connection between the dairy and the appliances; I seem to remember hearing something about that on Food Network.

Scottius Maximus said...

Call me a city boy, but what the heck difference does it make that Maytag thinks adding the words "cave-ripened" makes their cheese better?

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hey Scottius!

Thanks for dropping by! I'm not sure what "cave ripened" means or why anyone would think that would be a good selling point.

I have "fridge ripened" cheese...
I have "counter ripened in a zippy cup" milk...
I even have "left in the kitchen trash too long ripened" old chicken wrapper...

...but none of these things seem to make good selling points either...go figure.