Monday, July 03, 2006

Artsy fartsy

I was one of the poor schmucks who had to go to work today. The office was so quiet we decided to go out for lunch. We headed over to the East Village of Des Moines - a newly revived retail area full of lots of expensive boutiques, art galleries and specialty shops.

After lunch at Noodle Zoo, we walked around and poked our heads into a few places. I usually don't make spontaneous purchases but this time I actually bought something.

$79 peasant blouse?
$160 beaded skirt?
$180 garden ornament made from pieces of broken china, glass beads and the ends of silver spoons?
$1,800 custom made wooden wine rack?

Nah! My artsy fartsy and oh so glamorous purchase was six potato nails from the upscale kitchen store, Kitchen Collage. At .75 each, they were the only things I could afford.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ARRRRGH! Hating to be sexist, madam, but large nails are a few pennies each at true value hardware. Not as chic, but the mark up on the boutique nails was about as outrageous as the mark up on the broken china garden ornament. Well....happy 4th, anyway.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hey Kerner -

You are probably right but my nifty potato nails have loops on the end so I don't have to use a claw hammer to get them out of my potatos.

Thanks for stopping by! :-)

Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

My pleasure...I hate to admit it, but I usually microwave my baked potatoes...so who am I to talk, anyway. ;-)

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hi Kerner!

You should try cooking them in the oven - takes longer but they taste better.

425 degrees, approx. 1hour

For added yumminess - rub/coat with sea salt/pepper seasoning and wrap in aluminum foil.

Delicious! Brush off the extra salt if you like to eat the skin like I do.