Monday, July 17, 2006

IMO

When it comes to my family, you never have to ask for our opinion because chances are we’ve already given it to you.

Dantares (http://dilettante-engaged.blogspot.com/) asked a question yesterday that covered a topic I hadn’t spouted off on yet.

Poll
Who holds an opinion on the current actions in Lebanon, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip and what is it?

It was like waving a piece of raw meat in front of a pit bull. I posted my humble IMO which I copied and reposted below…not because it is particularly insightful, more because I am lazy and had really nothing else worthwhile to say.

Say hello to Dantares and post your own IMO. Check back for what I am hoping will become an interesting dialogue.

Dantares - hopefully you won't regret posting your question. ;-)

###

This is the latest round of fighting in a 58 year war to oust Israel. Since 1948, there have been several attempts by their Arab neighbors (directly or indirectly) to run Israel out of town. Syria and Iran pull the strings behind the scenes and support Hamas, Hezbollah and the Aqsa (spelling?) Martyrs Brigade to organize attacks in Israel's own backyard.

In this latest round, Israel gave up "land for peace" but all these groups did was use the land to move their base of operations closer to Israel for more attacks. They attack - Israel responds.

So...IMO... Israel has the right to defend itself (what choice do they have?) but also has the responsibility to limit civilian casualties when possible - difficult when their enemy hides in and among civilians and then cries foul when innocents are killed. It's a mess that won't be solved until these groups lay down their arms and recognize Israel's right to exist.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I really don't think it will ever come to a peaceful end. The fighting is rooted in deep historical discord. Each side has their reasoning and have for a long time.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Myutopia - totally agree with you.

Rick said...

I agree with both of you.

Point to ponder: why would Bush not declare a timetable for leaving Iraq, but have his State Dept. only allow Israel one week for strong response?

Rick

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hey Quipper - that is an excellent point. I can only guess he is playing to the moderate Arabs who are upset with Hezbollah and he doesn't want to lose their support but still wants to give Israel enough rein to take out as many of Hezbollah as possible.

I just find it frustrating - it is always Israel that is told to show restraint, don't respond, turn the other cheek while these terrorists teach intolerance and hatred in their schools and their media guaranteeing generations of future suicide bombers. I ask again - what is Israel suppose to do?

Rick said...

Israel is supposed to "take it like a man". Just like the French. And the Germans. And the Spaniards.

I guess that wouldn't work, either.