Saturday, June 03, 2006

Chew on this…

I was looking for a new quote to post on my “Quote This!” section and I came across these from C.S. Lewis, one of my favorite writers. They were too long for my little quote section but I wanted to post them anyway.


Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
- C. S. Lewis

If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.
- C. S. Lewis

There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."
- C. S. Lewis

Picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis

Update: I posted this link in the comment section but thought I'd post it here as well. This is an article (Q&A) written by an atheist who converted to Christianity.

What Christians Believe: http://www.christianitytoday.com/cl/2001/006/3.40.html

6 comments:

Joseph Broad said...

My god, DMG. Ok. Er. C.S.Lewis is an author I always disregarded: I didn't like his prose style when I was learning to read and I continued to see Narnia as a continuation of rather childish fairy stories. It had the bad luck to being compared to Tolkien, who ruled my early teens...like so many others. C.S.Lewis didn't seem to have the meaty weight, the gathering stormclouds which Tolkien alway's made me see: in short, where Tolkien seemed to be discussing grave and mighty issues of cataclysmic reality, Lewis was cake-icing. It didn't have the same impact.
So when I read others posting things such as that, it is frather affecting. I hate 0.734. Etc. Give me a definite. Give me an utter zealot or an atheist whose anti-faith blots out the brightest flame of belief. If we don't hold to what we believe, are we worth anything?
So yes, C.S.Lewis has just risen in my estimation.

Joseph Broad said...

The second quote sounds awfully close to saying that the light is defined by the darkness.
As an atheist, it is a intellectually fascinating concept.
Buggeration. I feel a dialogue coming on...
Dantares.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hi Dantares!

I have many favorite writers - all for different reasons.

I read The Chronicles of Narnia when I was in grade school so I was probably at about the right age to enjoy the stories. If I read them later in life I might have considered them too childish, but as a child they made a big impression on me.

Tolkien is another favorite writer of mine. Yes - his writing is "heavier" compared to Lewis. I also like George McDonald - have you read anything of his? - "The Lost Princess"

I do find it interesting Tolkien and Lewis were good friends - one an atheist (at the time) and the other Catholic.

I welcome a dialogue but I'm not much of a sparring partner. I can only tell you about my personal experiences and what I believe.

Glad you dropped by! :-)

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Here's an article (Q&A) written by an atheist who converted to Christianity.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/cl/2001/006/3.40.html

Just throwing it out there in case anyone is interested. ;-)

Kelly said...

great quotes.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hi Myutopia! Glad you liked the quotes!

Still haven't found a new quote for my "Quote This!" section...