Friday, June 02, 2006

Don't quit your day job

Greenpeace knows they are using scare tactics and propaganda to frighten people into supporting their cause and they think it’s funny?!?!

Proof once again - don't believe everything you read, kiddies!

Greenpeace Just Kidding About Armageddon

The environmental activist group Greenpeace wanted to be prepared to counter President Bush's visit last week to Pennsylvania to promote his nuclear energy policy.

"This volatile and dangerous source of energy" is no answer to the country's energy needs, shouted a Greenpeace fact sheet, decrying the "threat" posed by the reactors Bush visited in Limerick.

But after that assertion, the Greenpeace authors were apparently stumped while searching for the ideal menacing metaphor.

"In the twenty years since the Chernobyl tragedy, the world's worst nuclear accident, there have been nearly [FILL IN ALARMIST AND ARMAGEDDONIST FACTOID HERE]," the sheet said.

The Greenpeace spokesman who issued the memo, Steve Smith, told the Web site that a colleague was making a joke in a draft that was then mistakenly released.

The final version did not mention Armageddon; instead it warned of plane crashes and reactor meltdowns.
So - after reading this, do you still believe them?

Picture: http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/AtomicBlast_2.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greenpeace does a lot of good work. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. However, if we wish to continue our lifestyle in any manner resembling what we currently enjoy, we will have to build nuclear reactors - usually it is clean and safe. The disasters are, well, disasters. Wind and solar can not meet our current power usage. Much of France's power is generated by nuclear reactors (I seem to recall reading that it is as high as 90% but I could be misremembering).
O

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hi O!

Yes - you are a voice of reason. Greenpeace serves it's purpose - I just get tired of the fear mongering.

Yes - I agree with you on nuke power. I believe I read the same statisics about France - 90% nuke power is pretty amazing.

Anonymous said...

What about ALL of the fear mongering? That's what most everything is these days. Ads for medication, Gore and Greenpeace, Iran, the war on terrorism. We're being sold a false bill of goods from every sector. And one of the Low Countries - which one escapes me, but I think it's Denmark or maybe Norway, is generating a huge percentage of their electrical needs from wind farms. Ireland has a huge wind farm in Co. Mayo. Personally, I love windmills. Of course, they're not OK, because they kill migratory birds.
O