Friday, June 30, 2006

The women inside my head

Since I keep referring back to Donna Reed and Murphy Brown, I am posting this explanation as a single source rather than as disjointed thoughts. Hopefully, from now on it will be easier to find and my posts easier to read.

A lot of women live inside my head. I don’t think I need to explain this – don’t all women have other women living inside their heads?

Donna Reed
I sometimes fantasize I am Donna Reed in some 1950s stay-at-home housewife sitcom. You know the kind. She wears her heels and pearls while cheerfully vacuuming or packing lunches for the kids before sending them off to school. Her children are well behaved and nicely dressed. Her husband has a good office job and is home by 5:30pm every night just in time for a beautifully home cooked meal to magically appear on the table followed by appreciative “ooohs!” and “ahhs!” Her house is spotless and tastefully decorated. They take a family vacation every year to places like The Grand Canyon and “the beach.” She’s a perfect size 6 – her “fat clothes” are a size 8. She’s on the PTA. She does charity work for her church. She has coffee with “the girls.” Domestic bliss.

Murphy Brown
Murphy wants to do a good job at the office, impress the hire ups and enjoy all the monetary rewards and recognition hard work brings. She has a killer wardrobe - power suits and heels. She drives a flashy sports car. She has money to burn. She knows what she wants out of her career and she knows how to get it. She wows them in the boardroom. She is respected, feared and yes, sometimes envied, by her co-workers. She is the woman you go to when you need something done. She power walks and power lunches. She enjoys cocktails with the swanky set during happy hour. She flies to business meetings in exciting cities and vacations at all the best resorts. She is corporate power and womanhood in sling back heels.

The Wife of Noble Character
Wouldn’t it be great if I could get Donna and Murphy to work together instead of working against each other? This would be my ideal. I haven’t quite figured out how to do this yet. But it’s something I think about. Read Proverbs 31: 10-31 and you’ll know what I’m talking about. The woman in this passage had it all – a strong Christian, loving wife and mother, good homemaker and a very shrewd business woman. That’s what I want to be – or at least as close as I can get. Not sure if I could ever master the sewing part – I can barely sew on a button – but maybe the rest I could do. This is how I feel when my two other halves are in balance.

There are of course other women living in my head but this is enough for now. I will write about the other women as they are unearthed.

6 comments:

Jonathon S.B. Tiercel said...

DMG -

Funny, I have women in my head too! M is often there, whispering words of encouragement and sometimes chiding (especially when a cute lass walks past...)

Of course - the other women are acting more than advising... but it is still fun.

Whom else you have in there? Madame Bovarie perhaps...

Joseph Broad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joseph Broad said...

Sounds like Medea and Rusonia...scary.
Dantares

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Hi JT! - Glad to hear M practices mental telepathy. ;-)

Madam Bovary? Rich, bored and having an affair? Pfffpt!

Dantares - Medea!?!? Eeep! Not familiar with Rusonia.

Joseph Broad said...

Rusonia is the girl in New Hampshire I'm seeing by letter atm.
http://dilettante-engaged.blogspot.com/2006/04/truth-about-lying.html
While the beggining of this turned out to be wrong, this is who she is.
Dantares

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Dantares - Oh yes! I remember Rusonia. She sounds lovely. When you first mentioned Medea, I thought you were making another literary reference.

I hope you are still mailing her rose petals. ;-)