I need an old priest and a young priest…
I don’t know what it is but sometimes the house goes all Amityville on us. Months will pass without any unexpected breakage – long enough to lull us into a false sense of security - then things suddenly start falling apart, usually at the worst possible moment (e.g. tub faucets blowing off walls and ceiling fan blades snapping).
Nothing supernatural about it – the house was built in 1965 and hasn’t had a lot of updates. This time we’re having plumbing problems – three episodes in the last three weeks. The sink problem (upstairs bathroom) I wrote about a couple weeks ago is still unresolved. We’re contemplating throwing in the towel and calling a professional.
Then, unbeknownst to me, a juice glass slipped into the garbage disposal and was promptly pulverized when I flipped the switch. If you’ve never had this happen to you, the sound it makes will take years off your life. A friend of the family was able to fix it for us but warned us our disposal reset button is starting to fail. When it goes, we’ll have to replace the entire unit. So we have that to look forward to...
And finally, our downstairs toilet is now out of commission. The tank bolts were loose and were leaking. When we tried to tighten them, one of the bolts split and all the water ran out of the toilet tank. Tank bolts are usually an easy fix. Hubby tried to fix it before daughter’s birthday party on Saturday but ran out of time. Yeah – 20 plus people in our house for the party, eight kids under the age of six, and we’re down to one toilet. The toilet will have to wait until hubby has time to try again.
Well, until next time...unless the house kills us or something.
TUESDAY UPDATE: Guess what? Now the ceiling fan in the kitchen is fried and needs to be replaced. THE HORROR!!!! I'm tellin' ya, the house is out to get us.
House - 3
People - 0
To quote Eddie Murphy, "When the house says, 'GET OUT!' - leave!"
Monday, June 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My Dad has had 4 months of builders rubble but it's mainly clear now. I investigated the loft today.
I think the dust up there should qualify for a pension.
actually, probably a preservation order.
Dantares.
That's frustrating! Good luck with getting everything fixed.
For me it's been my car that's out to get me. You name it, it's gone bad in the past eight months.
Good luck with the evil house!
Post a Comment