Saturday, August 26, 2006

Drake University unleashes new campus radio station

Driving through Des Moines anytime soon? Check out the new Drake University campus radio station, The Dog!

After decades of plotting to launch an FM station on the air, Drake University welcomes a new puppy to campus Thursday afternoon, as KDRA-LP signs on with its new format, "94.1 The Dog...Music Unleashed."

The station time-shares 94.1 with Grand View College. Drake operates from 4 p.m. until 4 a.m. weekdays, plus all day Saturday. The stereo signal reaches 4-5 miles from Meredith Hall.

Students involved in DBS (Drake Broadcasting System) and Broadcasting Methods JMC57 form an important core of the station's producing and announcing staff. Special events planned for fall semester include play-by-play coverage of Roosevelt High School (home games in Drake Stadium) and Drake football. "The Dog" format will also operate as a 24-hour station online at
www.941thedog.com.

The station stunted for two days with "dog" songs, preparing for Thursday's (Aug. 24) launch at 5pm Central Time with its contemporary music format.

Radio daze
When I was on campus as a Radio/Television major, the station was called KDRK, which we lovingly referred to as K-DORK. I was required to do a radio show every week for a class my Freshman year, and then later write and produce Public Service Announcements (PSAs). Naturally, I persuaded my friends to help me with some of these projects.

Nancy Dancehall assisted me on several occasions - most memorably as the voice of "Mother Nature" during an environmental spot and later as "Boo Boo Bear" opposite my "Yogi Bear" for a Drake security spot. Good times!

I still have my tapes somewhere. If I find them, I'll post them here for posterity.

Picture: http://www.941thedog.com/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally!!!!! Woot!

Doing those radio spots were some of the best times in college. You've GOT to find those tapes.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

I know I have the tapes. I rediscovered them about a year ago. But when I looked for them last night, they were not in the place I last saw them last...(most vexing).

I promise when I find them I will post them as an audio blog. I signed up for audio blogging so this would be an excellent test.

Joseph Broad said...

lol. That sounds a right hoot.
Dantares.

Anonymous said...

Dantares You'll have to imagine my real voice about 8 octives lower; I raised it for the spots.

Or, I'll have to look into doing one of these fancy-schmancy audioblogs myself...

Let me know how it goes.

Heh. WV: qhahaha