Thursday, August 10, 2006

Who wrote this script?!?!?

The voice on the speaker phone was a well known video producer in Des Moines. My boss sat next to me as we hunched over her desk for the conference call. The meeting was to discuss a short video project I was assigned. I wrote the script and the video company will produce it.

Video Producer: Who wrote this script?!?!?

My Boss: (taken back) Why?

Video Producer: Because I want to hire them!

DMG: (nervous laughter)

I smiled sheepishly and glanced sideways at my boss. I shuffled the script in my hands – secretly pleased but still embarrassed by the unexpected compliment.

My Boss: Well it was kind of a combined effort. DMG pulled it together.

Video Producer: It’s great! We like it a lot!

He complimented me again as we were wrapping up the call.

DMG's silver hammer
I really shouldn’t hear comments like this. It gives me the itch to start digging up freelance writing gigs again. Or, more disturbingly, it makes me think about going back to writing for the video industry full time. I’m occasionally nostalgic for video production but then I hit myself over the head with a hammer a few times and the feeling passes.

So here I sit with my imaginary hammer poised to strike, ready to knock some of my God-given sense back into my head…but the compliment keeps rewinding and playing in my ears.

WHACK!!!

OW!!!!

What was I just typing? Huh?...what a stupid idea! Oh well…I guess I’ll go to bed.

4 comments:

Rick said...

DMG - great job! Maybe you can use the compliment as bargaining power during your next review.

Jonathon S.B. Tiercel said...

DMG - good for you - although writing on the side never hurts either. Perhaps they will bring the window back and make you "SENIOR"...

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Quipper - agreed. It's always a good thing when a third party compliments you in front of your boss.

Hey JT! Welcome home! A little writing on the side isn't too bad. Extra money is nice but it depends on how busy you want to be. Yes - "SENIOR" would be nice. They can keep the window as long as I see the difference in my paycheck.

Anonymous said...

Kudos! Huzzah!

I think you should ask for your window back.

(this is the comment that I THOUGHT I left a couple of days ago, but it appears Blogger ate it!)