I wanted to leave this alone... I wanted to walk away and let sleeping dogs lie but I just...can't...help myself!
Deep breath....
This letter to the editor appeared in the Des Moines Register on Thursday, May 25.
Sigh....Church doth protest too much
I am shocked at all the hoopla about The Da Vinci Code. Granted, it was a great fictional book, but it was just that — fiction. I personally can hardly wait to see the movie, but I know it is fiction.The Catholic Church should worry more about the sexual abuse going on with their priests than what Dan Brown writes in a novel.No one knew that Frank Sinatra was associated with the mob until he sued the writer/publisher of “The Godfather” because he thought they were writing about him.So what is the Catholic Church hiding when it goes after a fictional book?
— Ann Danielson, West Des Moines, Iowa
So the golden nugget of what this person is saying is this - Since the church vehemently denies the proposterous story outlined in Dan Brown's book, then that is proof the church has something to hide and there just might be some truth to this fictional book.
Given that logic, if I am falsely accused of adultery and I vehemently deny it and take up an agressive, pro-active stance to correct the lies and dispel the rumors then I must be guilty of adultery. Or in the very least there might be a grain of truth to the story and I am trying to cover it up.
Ex-squeeze-me?
Another point - the writer says the Catholic Church should worry more about the sexual abuse going on with its priests than the DaVinci Code. Yes - the church should be concerned with the sexual abuse but that doesn't mean they should ignore false information that attacks the very origins of Christianity.
Back to my adultery example - that would mean if I am falsely accused of adultery but I am also an admitted (insert vice of your choice: drunk, jaywalker, speeder, Chia Pet collector...etc...) I can't address the false rumors of my infidelity until I am successfuly treated and "cured" of my other problem? Why can't I address both at the same time? Why would a human failing in one area prohibit me from addressing false accusations in another?
Some polls have shown that people who have read the DaVinci Code (Christians and non-Christians) are asking if the story could in fact be true, completely overlooking or are ignorant of the fact major points of the historical timeline presented in the book are false. Falling away of the faithful? False information turning away potential new believers? If that isn't a concern the church should address, then I don't know what is.
I'm not usually one to come to the defense of the Catholic Church but the questions being raised because of the DaVinci Code impact all of Christianity and not just Catholics.
2 comments:
Damn DMG, Put some feeling into it... Actually, don't take me wrong - I believe as you do, just haven't had the time to ponder it.
Hope things are going better -
I know - I shouldn't let stuff like this bug me. Deep breath...and exhale...ahhhhhh!
Post a Comment