Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Return to Treasure Island

Isn't it funny how some stories are retold over and over again?

That's what my mom said after I told her about watching Walt Disney's Treasure Planet with darling daughter over the weekend. The animated movie is a retelling of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island with a space age twist. The movie was released in November 2002 but like most movies I'm just now getting around to seeing it.

I thought it would be campy and lame but I was pleasantly surprised. Sure they took some liberties with the plot - Long John Silver was not a cyborg in the book - but they did do an excellent job of keeping the "heart" of the story. They even recreated the "apple barrel scene" - if you don't know what I'm talking about, go read the book.

Speaking of reading the book, that is exactly what I am doing. I decided to go back to the source and re-read (or is it re-re-read) Treasure Island. I remembered quite a bit from the book while I was watching the movie but I want to read the story again to see where they added and subtracted.

I'm kind of funny about the classics. A couple years ago, I re-read To Kill a Mocking Bird simply because I heard some pin heads on a school board somewhere banned it from the school's library.

Chi-O gals

I had a fabulous lunch with gal pals "Paris" and "Salsa" today. Best line from lunch.

"...and that's when the bi-polar disorder took center stage..."

What a laugh riot! Great lunch! Can't wait till next time!!!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I have never read Tresure Island. I don't even think I have a copy in my classics collection. I need to get on that!