Thursday, May 04, 2006

Greek salad to go

In downtown Des Moines, there is a restaurant at the 801 Grand skywalk level called Basil's Prosperi. It's a very popular lunch spot - great pasta, sandwiches, soup/salad...etc... They make a Greek salad I just love - lots of fresh tomatos, olives, feta cheese, cucumbers, onions and it comes with fresh bread! Mmmmm-mmmm! Good eatin'!

The dressing is so good you want to lick the bottom of the styrofoam container (I don't actually do this but I have thought about it). I usually treat myself to a Basil's salad every other week.

Yesterday, I went there to get my Greek salad to go and my debit card was rejected! Turns out it had expired - that's when I remembered I received the new card in the mail but hadn't put it in my wallet yet (duh!). Very embarrassed, I told the man at the register I'd have to cancel my order.

The older man who usually runs the cash register (I think he's the owner) has started to recognize me since I'm a regular customer but I was still floored when he said, "No no! Go ahead and take your salad. You can pay me later." I offered to pay by credit card (I try not to buy food on credit - why pay interest on something you eat?) but he insisted I take the salad and said, "Pay me when you see me next time." I went there for lunch again today and made good on my debt (two Greek salads in one week!!! Yummy!).

I just wanted to write a quick post because this man's generosity is so rare! What a wonderful example he is!!! What he did may not have been the best business decision - had I been a less than honest person I could have stopped going there until he forgot I stiffed him for the salad - but he took a chance I would come back and pay up.

I repaid him for the salad but I want to do more and pay him back for his generosity. I thought I'd "give him the business" meaning encourage everyone I know to go to Basil's for lunch!

Basil's Prosperi - 801 Grand, skywalk level

They also have a restaurant in the East Village at 407 East 5th street, and a pizzaria in the food court at 700 Locust Street. I have not eaten there but I hear their pizza is excellent! You could tell him Des Moines Girl sent you but since he doesn't know me by that name (or any name for that matter) he'd probably think you were nuts! ;-)

Picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This gained him more goodwill than he could have gotten in any other way. I do it fairly frequently - never with anything particularly expensive and have never gotten stiffed. Few of them turn into regulars, but they may recommend our shop to a friend, or friend of a friend. In the end it's a smart move for a couple-three bucks worth of cost.
O

Kelly said...

That is pretty cool! We once got a great deal on pizzas because this place was closing for the day and got huge pizza slices for 50 cents~

Des_Moines_Girl said...

I've told this story to a few people at work. I found out that this is not unusual for this restaurant. They really watch out for their regulars and take extra good care of them.