Monday, May 01, 2006

Monday Monday....what a meme!

Thought we could all use a break from hot button issues. Here's a fun little meme I lifted from My Utopia.

20 years ago I was:
- finishing up my first year of high school in Colorado . Highlights for the year - joined the volleyball team with mixed results, discovered the Forensics team and Drama Club with much better results. Slowly still adjusting after having moved from another state the previous year.

15 years ago I was:
- Older and wiser Sophomore at Drake University and learning some hard lessons about life and love. Made the decision to stay in Des Moines and work over the summer instead of going home. That summer was as educational as any classroom could have been.

10 years ago I was:
- having a mid-20's crisis (similar to a mid-life crisis only with a lot more unnecessary angst), still working my first real post college job but getting itchy feet, and still learning a lot of hard lessons about life and love. Living in my own apartment all by myself and enjoying my freedom but struggling with loneliness.

5 years ago I was:
- Happily married, no children but planning to start a family very soon. Working my second post college job. Experiencing the joys and heartache of home ownership - celebrating our one year anniversary in the house. Mourning my grandmother who went home to be with God in January of that year.

3 years ago I was:
- Planning my daughter's first birthday party. The sole breadwinner while hubby was on unemployment for 7 months and struggling to make ends meet. Working my second post college job and trying to balance work and motherhood. Wondering if I needed to start looking for a new job but not ready mentally/emotionally.

Last year I was:
A year and a half into my third post college job. Really annoyed at having been handed a crap project that would last the entire summer and beyond. Still balancing work/motherhood and struggling to make ends meet.

This year I am:
-Planning my daughter's fourth birthday party. Will reach my third anniversary with my current job - getting itchy to try something new but not ready to commit to a plan of action. Celebrating 7 years of wedded bliss. Still haven't mastered work/motherhood but getting better at it. Still struggling to make ends meet...wondering if they ever will.

Yesterday I:
- Enjoyed our traditional Relays Sunday Brunch with the usual suspects. Watched Chariots of Fire with hubby and for the first time I did not run in slow motion through the room during the opening credits.

Today I:
- went to work, wondered about the sanity of my fellow human beings, had an uncharitable thought about a co-worker, ran a yellow light (twice) , hugged/kissed my daughter/hubby and said 'I love you', thanked God for my many blessings, complained to God about lingering problems, experienced great optimism for the future, doubted things will ever change, thought about a friend overseas, thought about a friend in another state, thought about my parents/siblings, read my favorite web sites, put off working on a project, finished a project, sighed in frustration, laughed at something absurd and listened to my biological clock tick.

Tomorrow I will:
- get up and do it all over again.

5 comments:

Admin said...

I'll take a stab at this one.

-20 years ago, I was working my ass off for $18k a year, full time for an ad agency.

-15 years ago, I was working my ass off full time for another ad agency for for $10k more.

-10 years ago, I was still woefully underpaid working 70 hour weeks for another ad agency.

-5 years ago, I got hired my my current employer, making the same pay I had from my then-employer (another ad agency) that laid me off because my 6-fig salary was a drag on their payroll at the time our dot-bomb clients were imploding. I don't blame them, since they never had anyone in my position for 20 years before they hired me--I was great for research and client PR, but they did without me for 20 years, so they could do it again.

-1 year ago, I was working for my present employer, wondering why I was still doing so.

-1 week ago, I was jotting down notes and ideas for this sci-fi short story I intend to write.

-1 day ago, I was thanking my lucky stars that Meilin would start today on my staff.

Jonathon S.B. Tiercel said...

20 years ago I was: Colorado, high school in Grand Junction. No highlights as I hated it.

15 years ago: College, drinking beer, chasing women, and working to pay for the aforementioned fun...

10 years ago: U.S. Army, serving at the tail end of the first Gulf war. Too much to think about or really want to remember...

5 years ago: Just moving to England, still in the Army, but finally getting to Europe and some of the best years to come. Fine beer, whiskey, and a much slower pace. M and I had a ball.

3 years ago: Still the same. Drinking more and working more. Seeing the light at the end and trying to figure out where to go.

Last year: Trying to find a new job. Struggling with an identity crisis as I realize I am leaving the Army to a civilian life. Trying to identify/develop a balance to life, wife, kids, martial arts, etc.

This year I am: Coming Home!

Yesterday I: Ran 2.5 miles, worked 18 hours, and thought about skittles!

Today I: Worked 18 hours, tried not to get frustrated at the lack of dedication and mission of my peers, thought about skittles...(again)

Tomorrow: Will work about 18 hours, pt in the morning and try not to hurt my fellow deployers due to their lack of motivation or understanding... And try not to think of skittles...too much!

Anonymous said...

You know, the green skittles...well, never mind.

Anonymous said...

20 years ago I was failing my first driver's test. I'm proud to say I've never had an accident!

15 years ago, I was on my way to Chicago to work at a magazine for the summer. Good times!

10 - Still at my first real post-college job, underworked and overpaid, but loving all my co-workers.

5 - Thinking children just weren't in the cards for me, then with a little ancient superstition and 21 cent. technology, was proven wrong.

1 - At home with the boyos, leading a life identical to the one I'm leading now, minus the blog.

1 week - Discussing copywright issues with DMG, otherwise, the day was exactly like today.

1 day ago - Has a day gone by already?

Anonymous said...

oops...missed:

Today I will go to dinner with Ms. JT and hope she doesn't notice the mud the boyos tracked in 5 minutes ago.

Tomorrow I wil hit 'repeat'.